The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree11690Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 09:08 PM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
SPRING 2013 CADDIS BOX...DONE...

Click the image to open in full size.
PT/TB
and for un new to fly tying
can we get a list of what those are? i like the looks of them , maybe ill try some
Old 02-11-2013, 11:23 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanl View Post
and for un new to fly tying
can we get a list of what those are? i like the looks of them , maybe ill try some
romani,

PM sent...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 02-12-2013, 01:31 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

I watched a really good tyer from Last Chance tie small floating nymphs, mostly for PMDs on the Henry's. He used thin foam as the wingcase to suspend the bug in the film and said they can kill the fussy rainbows there when everyone else is getting skunked with every sort of dry and emerger.

So I adapted that idea of the floating nymph for this March Brown emerger after reading that the March Brown nymph's wings break out as it emerges unlike other mayfly duns that pop on the surface. Just an experiment that won't be proven for another month or two.
mcnerney, madjoni and wt bash like this.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:52 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post

I watched a really good tyer from Last Chance tie small floating nymphs, mostly for PMDs on the Henry's. He used thin foam as the wingcase to suspend the bug in the film and said they can kill the fussy rainbows there when everyone else is getting skunked with every sort of dry and emerger.

So I adapted that idea of the floating nymph for this March Brown emerger after reading that the March Brown nymph's wings break out as it emerges unlike other mayfly duns that pop on the surface. Just an experiment that won't be proven for another month or two.
dean_mt,

March browns are not the only May Flies that emerge as adults...so do Epeorus - otherwise known as the "Pink Lady". They are extremely important on the Madison...this pattern could be adapted for March Browns as well:

FAST WATER EMERGER – EPEORUS…Nemec/Variant …

THREAD: Tiemco 16/0, Lt. Cahill

HOOK: Daiichi 1760, #18

SHUCK: Olive-Brown Zelon, sparse

RIB: Pearl Krystal Flash

ABDOMEN: Yellow Marabou and Tan Marabou, twisted together

FORWARD WING: Two small bunches of Yellow Sparkle Emerger Yarn

FORWARD WING/POST: Small cylinder foam, Yellow – Rainy’s

HACKLE: Cream

An adaptation of Jan Nemec’s Fast Water Baetis. He’s out of Reno and quite an interesting tier…If it is desired to float a bit more flush in the surface film, trim the bottom of the hackles into a "V:...

PT/TB
madjoni and dean_mt like this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 02-12-2013, 11:28 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
I bet the white thread bump will have a cool effect under water! By the way I put one of your leaders on the end of a 444 DT I have my cane rod strung with. Your leader combined with the cane rod's action and the DT was turning over a big huge hank of wool 60 foot like butter dripping off a hot biscuit! Furl Girl Leaders and the PBST are going to make tugging streamers INSANELY fun this year!

AWESOME! Thank you so much.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:12 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

No Joni THANK YOU! You make an awesome product and I can't hardly stand waiting one more day to get the whole rig wet! Its gonna be good, real good!
Old 02-12-2013, 01:35 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
dean_mt,

March browns are not the only May Flies that emerge as adults...so do Epeorus - otherwise known as the "Pink Lady". They are extremely important on the Madison...this pattern could be adapted for March Browns as well:

FAST WATER EMERGER – EPEORUS…Nemec/Variant …

THREAD: Tiemco 16/0, Lt. Cahill

HOOK: Daiichi 1760, #18

SHUCK: Olive-Brown Zelon, sparse

RIB: Pearl Krystal Flash

ABDOMEN: Yellow Marabou and Tan Marabou, twisted together

FORWARD WING: Two small bunches of Yellow Sparkle Emerger Yarn

FORWARD WING/POST: Small cylinder foam, Yellow – Rainy’s

HACKLE: Cream
Great looking bug, man. I am not familiar with that mayfly, I don't fish the Madi very often and it isn't talked about as an important hatch in these parts.

I was going for a sparse floater nymph/emerger hybrid and didn't want the hackle. I also think that rearward pointing wings might be more natural with the mallard flank. It really is an adaptation of a classic soft-hackle and floating nymph.

I particularly like that abdomen; do you palmer the marabou? How do get such short fibers? I'd love to use that body on the March Brown.

Also, what do you use to light your flies for photographing? Do have a light box or what? Your images are first class!
Old 02-12-2013, 05:01 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

The Erie Wulff, for that piece of water that screams "a steelhead will rise" On a Mustad R50 #6, big thanks to Ghocevar for swapping natural for Lt. dun rabbits foot.

Joni, Hardyreels, kelkay and 4 others like this.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Nicely done Bill, are you going to 'riffle hitch' that?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-12-2013, 05:08 PM

I'll try a dead drift first, then hitch it, twitch it, skate it, or wake it to see if one will come up for it.
jaybo41 likes this.