The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree11368Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 11:23 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

I have been tying up some pink mini-hoppers for the TN and WY Casting for Recovery programs, more as a novelty item. I was browsing the TN CFR website and spotted a gal wearing a CFR hat and she had a pink beetle pinned to her hat, so that gave me the idea to tie up some hoppers.
Click the image to open in full size.

I would never think of fishing with pink hoppers, but I remember Eric Beebe from Bighornflies telling me a couple years back that the fly to have on the Bighorn river was a pink hopper. He said all the fly shops in the area couldn't keep them in the bins, they were going like hotcakes at one of those free breakfast events.

Flytire: I really like the way those green caddis turned out using all the different materials, especially the uni-stretch and UV resin versions.

WT: Those soft hackles look awesome!
Pocono, jpbfly, popperfly and 5 others like this.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Stunning flies Flytire...love the way you sued different materials
Funny flies Larry....you know why
Old 02-24-2013, 12:56 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

SPECKLED CANARY NYMPH - TMC 103 BL, #17 - #21...

PT/TB
mcnerney, madjoni and baseman1 like this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 02-24-2013, 04:25 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
flytire, you have way too much free time on your hands
Just you wait until I retire in a few years!

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 02-24-2013, 05:12 PM

la_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of light

If imitation is a form of flattery, decided to tie some sparse dabblers and they are slowly improving I hope. Variant of some black and silver dabblers put up on the UK flyfishing site by one of the Scratchier inmates. Couldn't tie dabblers at all until Shuck Raider introduced me to the video of the Red Arsed dabbler, which was how I met my instructor.

Finney Heavy trout #12
Tail: pheasant tail dyed bright red
abdomen: red holo tinsel
body hackle with a couple of turns at the front: natural black Hebert-Miner cock
rib: UTC black wire
cloak: bronze mallard
overdid the epoxy on the head....

Last edited by la_jolla1; 02-24-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:07 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Here's a few klinkhammers and some shrimp, and some others

cheers
phil
mcnerney, madjoni, jaybo41 and 5 others like this.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:22 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Whoa NorEaster what's the wing on #6? Wicked!

Larry I'm going to have to try the pink hoppers on the Limestones in Pa although I could be branded a heathen after that!!!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:31 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
Whoa NorEaster what's the wing on #6? Wicked!
Thanks Bash, It's junglecock. Its from the less showy part of the cape where the feathers have no developed nails. I think thats what they call them. I really am finding junglecock to be a versatile feather. They make great soft hackles too. The only part I don't use are the nails.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:33 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

What grade cape do you have? I have whats left of a C and don't see any feathers like that, maybe thats the part my dog ate!
Old 02-24-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
What grade cape do you have? I have whats left of a C and don't see any feathers like that, maybe thats the part my dog ate!
Actually they are just charity pieces, from salmon tiers that weren't using the leftovers after depleting the eyes or nails.
Here's a pic of them.

mcnerney likes this.