The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree10056Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 05:21 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Still experimenting with foam wings. Have a few bugs to work out with cutting and shaping wing backs.

Click the image to open in full size.

swirlchaser and baseman1 like this.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:48 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

RED QUILL TRIGGER NYMPH - TMC 103 BL. #15 - #19...

Materials for RED QUILL TRIGGER NYMPH...

Yeah, I have started taking a photo of the materials included for each pattern I tie...I'm getting OLD...

PT/TB
kayo, newby, baseman1 and 2 others like this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 03-04-2013, 09:12 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
Yeah, I have started taking a photo of the materials included for each pattern I tie...I'm getting OLD...
not sure that has anything to do about getting OLD but it is a SMART idea!

norm

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 03-04-2013, 10:55 AM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

PlanetTrout- that is perhaps my favorite pattern I have seen from you yet! Very cool.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:22 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

flies by oliver kite

+ with all of the colors provided by ultra wire, the combination are endless (well almost)
baseman1 and mista_bob like this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

Last edited by flytire; 03-05-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:26 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreaster View Post
Still experimenting with foam wings. Have a few bugs to work out with cutting and shaping wing backs.

If you heat an Exacto knife blade over a alcohol lamp or cigarette lighter it will slice right through craft foam. With a little practice you can get really fine tapers that way.
noreaster likes this.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:41 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
If you heat an Exacto knife blade over a alcohol lamp or cigarette lighter it will slice right through craft foam. With a little practice you can get really fine tapers that way.
Good tip. I will give it a try.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:20 PM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

A few Hornbergs

Old 03-05-2013, 06:27 PM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about
Default clear creek slayer

I am not sure the best spot to post this sort of stuff... it looks like folks do it here too...t

A few years ago on the fourth of July weekend I was up near Mt. Evans ( a fourteen'er in Colorado),fly fishing with a friend at about 10 or 11,000 feet… we lived at around 8,000 then…and the weather was a pretty nice Colorado summer day…when we finished hiking to the stream we were wanting to fish , the weather took a turn for the worse…spitting snow, and pretty cold…I was on the streamside near a beaver dam that formed a pond. I was trying to adjust my choice of pattern I was fishing, and thinking the grill at home looked pretty good when a huge Adult Caddis landed about 3 feet from me…I got a chance to study it for a while before it took off…I started fishing some dark caddis bugs in about a size 12, the biggest thing I had…and it was like a switch turned on…match the hatch…Qed…

The pattern tied above is as close as I can come to try and imitate what I saw…its on a size 10-12 nymph hook for extra length, I used some gadwall back feathers for the sides/body, and some Mule deer fur for the hair wing…two moose mane quills for the antennae…and a short rooster hackle for some legs…the body is dubbed with some buffalo wool in dark brown…more visible from underneath. This bug has been a real “go to” in still water situations…or when the trout are really picky…its similar to some of the other sedges I tie up…but just for the darker variety…one friend thought I should name it the “Clear Creek Slayer”…

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à fìreach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/
Old 03-05-2013, 07:34 PM

Love the cut of your jib silvertip. Those sedge wings and caddis patterns look deadly. Really like your choice of colors and the mule deer touch.