The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree10963Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2011, 10:01 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
I tied 24 #17 snipe and purple softhackles for a customer recently. Never again! Especially considering the smallest I tie usually are #10 salmon flies.
Gary
One of the reasons I prefer saltwater fly fishing is that I never have to tie a fly smaller than a #4
The main hatch on the Farmington mid-winter is size 28 brown caddis. No thank-you
Old 11-18-2011, 10:09 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

LOL, I can't even SEE a size 28 fly in my hand, never mind on the water, much less thread its eye with 8 or 9X tippet! The best thing that ever happened to me, fly fishing-wise (except from a financial point of view!) was discovering atlantic salmon fishing and 6lb. tippet at smallest!
Gary
Old 11-18-2011, 10:09 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
One of the reasons I prefer saltwater fly fishing is that I never have to tie a fly smaller than a #4
The main hatch on the Farmington mid-winter is size 28 brown caddis. No thank-you
+1 for me. If I had to tie on a 28 I would seriously consider dynamite fishing.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:31 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I've never tied anything smaller than a 24 and that was a pain. But, if it's what catches fish then I'll learn to tie it. Really small flies are the ones I will buy though, that or a fly I want to learn to tie. Here are a couple of the 20's that I tied up last night

A sparkle dun
Click the image to open in full size.

A nice little nymph
Old 11-18-2011, 11:18 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I hear you guys but around here when its time for small flies, the crowds are just as small!
Old 11-18-2011, 05:07 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
I tied 24 #17 snipe and purple softhackles for a customer recently. Never again! Especially considering the smallest I tie usually are #10 salmon flies.
Gary

you'd nearly need an eye transplant after that switch!

I did some size 1 streamers last night for a customer, and then back to size 12 nymphs for anther customer....the difference in the tufts of dubbing required is tremendous.

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-19-2011, 04:07 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

tying up some scud-czech nymph patterns. I fish them as scuds on the local lake, but I tie them with some weight like czech nymphs and rig them off a small dropper loop 18" to 2' above the trailing fly on 6 to 8 inches of tippet. usually I will trail an unweighted stillwater nymph (mallard and peacock) behind it. This has been pretty effective especially now when the bigger fish are trying to fatten up a little since the weather is turning.

Hard to show the pearl backing, but here is a try.

Joey Bagels likes this.

Last edited by webrx; 11-19-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:46 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Tied this one up today, a little different coloration
Old 11-21-2011, 09:15 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

THE RAT-FACED SPIDER Stonefly...Pettine/VARIANT (Skwala)...for the East Walker River, around the end of March...

Side-ish view...

Tilted view...

HOOK: TMC 2457, Mustad CO68, Daiichi 1120, #6-#10
THREAD: Uni 6/0 or Wapsi Ultra 140 Denier - Brown
TAILS: Natural Goose Biots
BODY: Hare's Ear Dubbing, #3, Bunny Mask -( From Crown)
RIB: Glitter D Rib, Medium, Amber
THORAX: Hare's Ear Dubbing, #1, Bunny Mask - (From Ear's)
WINGCASE: x2, Mottled Thin Skin
HACKLE: Speckled India Hen Back

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 11-21-2011, 02:03 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Nice flies guys