The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree11340Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2011, 06:04 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Today i went with some less traditional egg patterns.
I recently saw a nice video demonstrating the "antron egg".
I had a severe lack (read: none) of antron dubbing in my supply so i improvised with Senyos Lazer Dub
The outcome: in various color combos for a customer
Click the image to open in full size.

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-25-2011, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Nice batch of eggs there, I'll get those JC eyes in the mail tomorrow

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-26-2011, 02:42 PM

dave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura about

Praticing tying up some Leadwing Coachmans.
These are on Mustad 3399A #10 hooks. I think for the first couple that I have tied, these turned out pretty good.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:20 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

Nice job on those wings, the bottom fly is VERY nice!

The one thing I'd try to work on is fewer wraps for the head. If you can secure the hackle with two wraps, the finishing wraps on the wings will ensure the hackle is tight enough to stay in place.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:44 PM

dave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Stimmy, The wings are the most difficult for me. Haha. I tried to build up the wraps to form a head, but I guess I over did. Now that I have the wings under control, (Somewhat), I'll work on the head size and shape.

Dave
Old 11-28-2011, 01:52 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Dave those are beauties!!! I tend to buck tradition in terms of head size on the wets I like the head to appear like ball, i don't think it affects the fishing side of it it just appeals to my eye. After the first few tightening wraps spin the thread counter clockwise and you can throw some wraps on there without too much build up but like I said I like the larger head.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:03 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Tried my hand at a fontinalis fin tonight, to practice my married wings. Was a bit of a struggle getting the duck to marry at times as some of the fibers were thicker at the butt than others. The end result being that they didnt sit well on the hook. I also had to sub the tail with arctic fox as i dont have any white hackle. I'm gonna have to invest in some hen and cock capes some time soon.
I also left too much room at the head, thus it is bigger than i like.
First married wing wet fly.

Been tying my Alexandra's for the swap too. Photos to come soon.

Addicted To Vise
Old 12-06-2011, 09:55 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

Sorry about the pic quality, but I've been tying up Cypert Minnows. They work like magic on crappie, white bass, and catfish!

Old 12-07-2011, 08:14 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

is that Christmas tinsel for the tail?

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:53 PM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough

What have I been tying today? Since I have time off from work now and soon I will back doing double shifts and probably will not have time for tying in the ty-along, or time for life for that matter, I've decided to go and try some tie's that I have never done that are on the list of the ty-along, not trying to jump ahead just using the time I have on hand now. I've never done a chironomid and googled a recipe that appealed to me, and hopefully the fish. I didn't have some of the materials on his example and substituted some things like Super Hair[abdomen] I used small red and copper wire, White McFlyFoam[gills] I used calves hair, and for Peacock Ice[throax] I used peacock herl, though I do like the looks of the peackock ice and want to get some. This is my third attempt at this pattern today, the first was in the garbage, second was just okay and needed a lot of refining and this one was acceptable anyway, I certainly welcome and would like some constructive criticism.
Anyway this is what I am tying today and thanks for looking.