The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree10970Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 05:19 PM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Mink Minnow

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:06 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Squirrel Nymphs

Grub

mcnerney, madjoni, wt bash and 9 others like this.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:24 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
Can you tell us how thick these sheets are...thanks
Its the regular old 3mm foam. I also have a pack of it, and it ties many flies.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 03-27-2013, 10:32 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Another grub

mcnerney, madjoni, wt bash and 8 others like this.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:35 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Jay: Are using a black marker pen to get that pattern on the back or is it some sort of thin skin with that type of marking? At any rate it sure looks fishy!

Old 03-27-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Jay: Are using a black marker pen to get that pattern on the back or is it some sort of thin skin with that type of marking? At any rate it sure looks fishy!
Hi Larry,

Thanks for the positive comments That's thin skin with specks, but I'm sure you could use a Sharpie and get the same effect with a piece of plastic. It's a simple tie really. I haven't fished it yet, so it's unproven to me at this point. I suspect it will take a fish or two or at least am hopeful anyway!

Partridge CZ Nymph Hook #16
1/8 Tungsten Bead-Black Nickel
Uni Mono for rib
6/0 Danville Unwaxed
Thin Skin- Clear/Black specks
UV Chartreuse
UV Black
tease out the dubbing to suit your taste

Here's a link to the Thin skin:

JS Fly Fishing: Rod Building, Fly Tying: Wapsi Thin Skin

I used the River Road creations Czech Scud cutters to shape the thin skin. It does not cut through the backing but it does a good job outlining where to cut on the back sheet with scissors.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:32 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Steelhead candy Jaybo!
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:25 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Jaybo,
really like the new grub. Mustard or dark olive would kill it on local creeks here. (PS I'm about to copy a handful of my own!)
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbblom View Post
Jaybo,
really like the new grub. Mustard or dark olive would kill it on local creeks here. (PS I'm about to copy a handful of my own!)
Thanks tbblom! I've toyed with the idea of tying them in a few other colors as well. I'm with you, there are a number of other colors I'm thinking of. Tan/Brown and various shades of Olive are coming to mind. Please feel free to copy away, that's what I love about this thread. I look at others posts and get inspired and am always hopeful that my contributions inspire others.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:12 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

I used a strip from a zip lock bag closure for the ribClick the image to open in full size.
kelkay, madjoni, jaybo41 and 4 others like this.