The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree10952Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 01:48 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Click the image to open in full size.

YAMSI SPECIAL - Dave Hughes/Variant - TMC 2487, Daiichi 1130, #16...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 03-31-2013, 01:55 PM

la_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Kelkay: Working on the wet flies as I had never put an effort into learning them well. Been playing around the CDC wings, the golden-olive/sunburst mayfly, and then arctic fox and peacock hackle on the steelhead on the right. Got the sunburst badger cape from Laurie on this forum, and love the halo effect it gives on the front hackle. Also got a red badger variant cape from Laurie, and selecting for feathers that have a broad black center at the bottom only, gives a hackling that moves from red at the back, to a black contrast in front. Tied this fly for my Welsh friend Ed in honor of the Welsh rugby victory 30-3 over England to win the 6 Nations - he calls it y ddraig goch - The Red Dragon!
Alec Jackon #7
Butt: Red Brassie wire
Tail: GP tippet dyed subtle red
Body: Red pheasant tail, then UV red ice dub
rib: Red wire
Wing: 4 subtle red CDC plumes
Hackle: red-badger with wide-black center towards the bottom
Old 03-31-2013, 02:43 PM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

Winnipesaukee Smelt

Old 03-31-2013, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Very nice rendition Bear, and a seldom seen pattern these days as well.

Nice work I hope it lands you some Land Locks this spring,

Ard
bear 007 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-31-2013, 05:09 PM

tpo has a spectacular aura abouttpo has a spectacular aura abouttpo has a spectacular aura about

Long story about these flies. I was in New York last week on vacation with the family. The wife and daughter went to some shows and art museums; I enjoyed the food, and, er, looked for fly shops.... OK, I didn't look too hard but did stop at the Orvis on 5th Avenue. I had seen these flies on their website and really liked the look, but seeing them in the store inspired me to tie a few variations, photos here. Pretty basic poppers with a yellow belly but an interesting mixed yellow and olive main body, which I wanted to give a try. The version the store carried looked like a Taps Bug with a short, simply tail; I tied one like that, then I tied a mid-sized popper with a larger, busier tail with a lot of rubber legs, which is more like my normal bass bugs. Both of these are tied on Mustad 3366 hooks in size 1/0. Thought you might be interested in seeing them, sorry for the weak photo's, my camera and photography skills leave something to be desired.

Tom
mcnerney, Guest1, madjoni and 9 others like this.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:17 PM

stuartpengs is a glorious beacon of lightstuartpengs is a glorious beacon of lightstuartpengs is a glorious beacon of lightstuartpengs is a glorious beacon of lightstuartpengs is a glorious beacon of light

A couple more dabblers from me. Patterns included.

Cat Dabbler

Hook - B175 10, 12
Thread - UTC 70 Chartreuse
Tail - Bronze Mallard
Rib - Silver Oval
Body - 75% Chartreuse Electric Dubbing, 25% Chartreuse Ice Dub
Body Hackle - Chartreuse Grizzle
Head Hackle Olive Grizzle
Under Wing - White Marabou Blood
Cloak - Bronze Mallard
Cheeks - JC

Claret Dabbler

Hook - B175, 10, 12
Thread - UniThread 8/0 Red
Butt - Flat Gold
Tail - Claret Bronze Mallard
Rib - Copper Oval
Body - Dark Claret Seal's Fur
Body Hackle - Claret Grizzle
Throat Hackle - Silver Doctor Blue Grizzle
Cloak - Sunburst Bronze Mallard (Dark Fibres)
Cheeks - JC.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:33 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

Just finished this one. Perhaps the prettiest fly I have EVER tied. To me this fly represents progress. I'm right at one year of tying flies.

Joni, Hardyreels, Pocono and 13 others like this.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Really nice, reminds me of a quill variant style.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-31-2013, 07:56 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Newby, that is a wonderful fly. If you have been tying just a year, you are doing very well indeed. Lovely work.

Stuart, those Dabblers...ALL OF THEM...are just out of this world cool to me. Have you ever thought of doing a You Tube video of them? I would love to see exactly how you tie those beauties!!
Old 03-31-2013, 08:23 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelkay View Post
Newby, that is a wonderful fly. If you have been tying just a year, you are doing very well indeed. Lovely work.

Stuart, those Dabblers...ALL OF THEM...are just out of this world cool to me. Have you ever thought of doing a You Tube video of them? I would love to see exactly how you tie those beauties!!
I agree Newby well done. Spacing and proportions all look great.
Stuart,I too would love to see a tie along.
stuartpengs likes this.