The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree12422Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 11:32 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Click the image to open in full size.

DNA DIP (PINK) - TMC 5262, #16 - #18... (Think HYDROPSYCHE )

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 04-02-2013, 01:33 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by planettrout View Post

DNA DIP (PINK) - TMC 5262, #16 - #18... (Think HYDROPSYCHE )

PT/TB
Love the fly... I tie a small pink larva as well, but at the risk of exposing myself as a major bug nerd... isn't it the Glossosoma species that have these peculiar pink larva?

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 04-02-2013, 02:25 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
Love the fly... I tie a small pink larva as well, but at the risk of exposing myself as a major bug nerd... isn't it the Glossosoma species that have these peculiar pink larva?
I am playing around with PINK for an emerging Hydropsyche...this is Walter Weise's (Park's Fly Shop) Pink Clacka Caddis:

Parks' Fly Shop New Flies for 2013

Craig Matthews developed a Glossosoma that uses small, twisted black and red Ultra wire to give it an orange-ish effect, covered by a White Zelon bubble...and it really works great...

Ralph Cutter discusses the Glossosoma here:

California School of Flyfishing, Nevada City and Truckee, CA > Entomology > Glossosoma Caddisflies

The design of the DNA DIP is based on the BRF Guide Seredipity which imitates the Brachycentrus (Grannom) or Mother's Day hatch .

GUIDE SERENDIPITY...

For that one, I use Chartreuse DNA Holo Fusion, ribbed with black Ice Thread...It SLAYS...

PT/TB
baseman1 likes this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 04-02-2013, 03:13 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by planettrout View Post

The design of the DNA DIP is based on the BRF Guide Seredipity which imitates the Brachycentrus (Grannom) or Mother's Day hatch .

GUIDE SERENDIPITY...

For that one, I use Chartreuse DNA Holo Fusion, ribbed with black Ice Thread...It SLAYS...

PT/TB
NOTED, and thank you!

We used to have tons of Glossosoma's back in the Lehigh Valley streams of PA. In fact we used to speculate as to how many we murdered just by walking around as their little "turtle shells" literally covered the rocks when they were scavenging. I haven't seen them in numbers here on the local Utah streams yet (maybe they don't do well in tailwaters)... but we have excellent Brachycentrus hatches.

Chartreuse gets over-looked for a lot of hatching insects (like Drunella's)... the color scare's people off for some reason.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:57 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

la jolla...I finally saw the two Dabbler videos this evening. Now I have an idea on how to make them. I see he used bronze mallard. That material is not the cheapest to get. I think you could use subs, and get away with it. I plan to try some of these very soon. Thanks again for the link.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:43 AM

Getting inspiration from both the recent warm weather here in Utah and recent caddisfly activity from the vise of PlanetTrout... in anticipation of upcoming caddisfly activity on the local rivers.

Partridge & Green

Grannom Flymph

Glossosoma Larva

Old 04-03-2013, 08:26 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelkay View Post
la jolla...I finally saw the two Dabbler videos this evening. Now I have an idea on how to make them. I see he used bronze mallard. That material is not the cheapest to get. I think you could use subs, and get away with it. I plan to try some of these very soon. Thanks again for the link.

Hi Kelly,

I'm sure you are right, you could almost always find a substitute. Dyed Mallard or Natural would probably work just fine. Not sure what you consider expensive or where you've purchased bronze mallard before? I got mine here:

JS Fly Fishing: Rod Building, Fly Tying: Hareline Bronze Mallard Flank

Seemed reasonable enough to me?
Old 04-03-2013, 08:46 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

That is a good deal, if the feathers are nice. I guess I am thinking of select feathers. You sure don't get very many for the price. I have a small bag of loose teal feathers. Cheap enough, but they are not food for flatwing style feathers. So I buy the select for that. I am going to try a pack from this place. Thanks again.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:02 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I've ordered these feathers and have some on hand. They're not select grade, but they'd be very good to use as the cloak and tail on a dabbler. Select feathers of any sort are always a premium cost and for the application you mentioned would be better than these ones. I can understand your reluctance to use select bronze mallard on a dabbler. I have married or at least attempted to marry them in a spey style fly and they're OK though I'm sure select would be better. I think I got 4 or 5 matched feathers in one pack? Maybe more, can't recall exactly.

stenacron, those are some beautiful looking ties!
kelkay likes this.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:48 PM

South Holston will become famous soon enough

Spun Deer Hair is lovely.

---------- Post added at 12:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

There isn't anything like a well tied soft hackle- nice