The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree10708Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 10:06 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Bead Head Bird's Nest designed by Cal Bird

Click the image to open in full size.
kelkay, baseman1 and tpo like this.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:46 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbblom View Post
Haven't added any photos lately, some ties from winter/spring 13:

Weedless babybass #2 grizzly olive
I like this, we tie a similar fly for False Abacore here in the NE. I will have to try this in the sweet water.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:19 PM

la_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of light

General Practitioner
klink is a #12 for scale
madjoni, jaybo41 and baseman1 like this.

Last edited by la_jolla1; 04-27-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:55 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

This is by far the best thread I have ever found in any forum. The even beats an 'evolution' thread I used to check regularly in a primitive blade smithing forum. Down side to that was the thread was about how folks evolved with smithing in pre-coal tech (everything by hand) - need less to say, post rate was on the slow side.

Here, there are just to many beautiful and interesting ideas showing up practically daily.

Thanks much for all the posts!
kelkay, jaybo41, stenacron and 1 others like this.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:20 PM

djamtime will become famous soon enough

Ok guys...

It has been a little cold here in upstate NY and I have been getting skunked alot with my nymphs.

As much as I love the outdoors, I still want to catch fish!!

I figured it was about time to tie a streamer. This is my very first one.. A Maribou Muddler. I would like some critique from some of you veteran tiers out there. Im thinkin' I should have been a little less generous with the materials, but you guys tell me.

jaybo41, la_jolla1 and baseman1 like this.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:41 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

,,,over half way done...

WITCH DOCTOR MIDGE (Cream) – TMC 2499 SP BL or TMC 2488, #18 – #22…

PT/TB
madjoni, jaybo41, baseman1 and 1 others like this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 04-29-2013, 10:17 AM

la_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of light

madjoni, jaybo41 and baseman1 like this.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:35 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by djamtime View Post
Ok guys...

It has been a little cold here in upstate NY and I have been getting skunked alot with my nymphs.

As much as I love the outdoors, I still want to catch fish!!

I figured it was about time to tie a streamer. This is my very first one.. A Maribou Muddler. I would like some critique from some of you veteran tiers out there. Im thinkin' I should have been a little less generous with the materials, but you guys tell me.

I'd fish it without hesitation. Looks it will definitely make some good noise in the water and might be a little prone to floating. Wish my first half dozen muddlers came out that well.

If you throwing this for trout, you may want to shorten up the fly a bit and keep the end of the 'tail' a bit tighter to the bend. Will help if you find you are getting short strikes.

Great shaping on the spun deer hair head! (I clip mine oddly. I put a tight, subtle "V" on the bottom with the top side half way to a diver style bass bug head. Seems to get them deeper and ride a little better in the water.)

You may want to consider a smaller thread head on the next one. It would free up a little shank length for the rest of the fly, but than again there is absolutely nothing wrong with that well formed thread head.
jaybo41 and djamtime like this.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:09 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

i tried to post about a week ago had problems with photobucket got it fixed.
Super Pheasent Tail.
Saw this in a magizine somewhere.
baseman1 likes this.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:04 AM

Joni, kelkay, madjoni and 2 others like this.