The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree10159Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 08:27 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted4887 View Post
Nice tie.

Although this could start an interesting debate over whether you're better off imitating natural food, or something big and flashy. I tend to lean towards the latter, because musky don't eat very often at all despite their reputations for killing everything that comes close. I like something that will get they're attention and maybe tickle that lateral line a little bit. Although admittedly, fly fisherman are at a big disadvantage when it comes to lateral line tickles though compared to gear guys.

Anyways, I just felt like typing something this morning. Good luck this weekend with the unicorns.
Good points, Ted and I happen to be of the mindset that if one or the other is good, then both must be best. This fly is loaded with flash )over 80 strands total combining krystal flash and mylar flash. I like to combine different textures of flash in these things. On top of matching not only the hatch but adding lots of flash, there are also 3 rattling elements - 2 rattle eyes and one of those rattle tube things. When it comes to musky, I like to throw everything at them and the kitchen sink in one pretty 6" package.

Click the image to open in full size.

^that was my first musky on the fly using a firetiger version of this fly. Third cast of the day landed her and I had 6 more follows with the same fly on that day
Old 05-10-2013, 08:37 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I kinda agree with you on that one. That fly itself looks great! i bet there will be plenty of large bass chasing it down as well, but for muskie I would like to see that fly with orange, purple and pink all in it. Same fly, just different layers of nutso colors.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 05-10-2013, 09:02 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I've got one of those tied up as well.

There are several lakes where I am going and each one tends to have it's most productive color patterns. One lake tends to work best with firetiger patterns, another on shad, and another on a brown/copper pattern.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:31 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted4887 View Post
Nice tie.

Although this could start an interesting debate over whether you're better off imitating natural food, or something big and flashy. I tend to lean towards the latter, because musky don't eat very often at all despite their reputations for killing everything that comes close. I like something that will get they're attention and maybe tickle that lateral line a little bit. Although admittedly, fly fisherman are at a big disadvantage when it comes to lateral line tickles though compared to gear guys.

Anyways, I just felt like typing something this morning. Good luck this weekend with the unicorns.
This is an age old battle in my parts. I tend to believe color and profile make a difference but I have trouble explaining this:

I fish along side friends who don't flyrod so they will use spinning gear and throw what we call "plugs". We were all out on Wed night I caught Stripers with this fly:

My buddy, standing 5' away from me also caught fish using a black bomber

The bomber is NOT to scale. It was actually about 7" long and about 1.5" in diameter.

Where's the connection? Truthfully I think when it comes to fast moving predator fish they will hit just about anything that is moving. I think as long as the disturbance convinces a predator enough to take a serious bite your in good shape. But I'm not ready to let go of my superstitions...
Hardyreels, theboz and sumojo like this.

Last edited by swirlchaser; 05-10-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:31 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Love Bombers! Age old debate! My take size, shape( PROFILE) ,color are the keys for all fish. Action imparted also.Exact matching the hatch is fine but overrated!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 05-10-2013, 01:32 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Today in Fly Tying Friday class ( i teach a fly tying class every friday to some guys at work at lunch ), I taught wolly buggers. next week we are going to do some saltwater/carp crossover patterns.
MoscaPescador likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 05-10-2013, 02:55 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Midges for Summer - 2013...

...done...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 05-10-2013, 03:05 PM

Look at that organization!
Old 05-11-2013, 01:57 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I took advantage of some spare time over the past week to knock out 50 Crazy Charlies.

I should get 50 more tied in orange and white over the next week.

After that, I better get started replenishing my trout boxes.

Dennis
kelkay, sumojo, baseman1 and 2 others like this.

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 05-19-2013 at 02:34 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:16 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

The only fly that has been getting some action has been this little guy. A little pin fish, scud or shrimp type pattern. The flash is really working as a back highlight. Using that dabbler technique for the soft hackle. Really diggin' it.

cheers
phil