The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree11332Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 01:15 AM

almonde will become famous soon enoughalmonde will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Just recently finished the bonefish box for Belize. Only been tying a couple of months and this is my first saltwater attempt, but hopefully will get them bones!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:23 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi almonde.
Really Nice Flies your Patterns would also catch Trout.
Brian
Old 05-18-2013, 02:08 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liphookedau View Post
Hi almonde.
Really Nice Flies your Patterns would also catch Trout.
Brian
I see a pattern in there that I would tumble as a crawdad.

Nice flies.

Dennis
Old 05-18-2013, 02:42 AM

Thanks guys, appreciate the compliments. As long as the guide doesn't take one look at them and ask if i have a different box
MoscaPescador and tbblom like this.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:08 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by almonde View Post
Thanks guys, appreciate the compliments. As long as the guide doesn't take one look at them and ask if i have a different box
If anything, your guide may take a fly and remove some material. That happened to one of my friends who fished Andros. He tied some beautiful Gotchas and Charlies that matched the samples from a fly shop.

Remember that it is easier to make a fly sparser on the water than it is to dress it up. I am not saying that your flies are overdressed. I'll let your guide make that call.

Enjoy your trip.

Dennis
almonde likes this.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
If anything, your guide may take a fly and remove some material. That happened to one of my friends who fished Andros. He tied some beautiful Gotchas and Charlies that matched the samples from a fly shop.

Remember that it is easier to make a fly sparser on the water than it is to dress it up. I am not saying that your flies are overdressed. I'll let your guide make that call.

Enjoy your trip.

Dennis
Thanks Dennis, a little haircut out on the water is certainly easier than going the other way! I think a few of the collars/'tails' might be a bit on the long side for the hook shank length, but again, easy to rectify.

I'll always listen to a guide's advice, after all if i knew best i wouldn't be paying him

Alex.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:37 PM

cuffer is on a distinguished road

Did these little wolley buggers today. These are all done with a #10 hook. I fish smallies on the Shenandoah River with a 4wt rod. Makes a 10 inch smallie seem like a lunker. Actually, I'm new to your site and just trying to figure out how to post pictures...
mcnerney, kelkay, madjoni and 4 others like this.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:50 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Those are some great looking flies cuffer! The proportions are excellent. Looks like you have the photo thing figured out. Welcome to the forum.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:00 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I like the white add-ins and butt on those, never really thought of doing two toned ones.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 05-21-2013, 09:03 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

First time i tried this style, and not too difficult to tie
Head could be tighter with no gaps in the buck tail, but i'll swim this one.

madjoni, jaybo41 and sumojo like this.

Addicted To Vise