The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree11368Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 01:21 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post

This is my first real attempt at these. Something classic and purportedly very effective.

Click the image to open in full size.
WOW! Beautiful ties jaybo... it takes a lot of self-control to tie them sparse like that, but the effectiveness of the fly goes through the roof. Something that commercially tied versions often lack (sparseness). Very nice.

You even went as far as getting the Pearsall's Gossamer silk... man, you are all in!

I'll most likely be swinging some Partridge & Yellow soft hackles after work tonight.

I see a lot of trout in your future.
mcnerney, kelkay, jaybo41 and 2 others like this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 06-13-2013, 02:09 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the kind words stenacron! I do appreciate the comments good or not so good. One of my goals at the bench is to always strive to improve my skills and I know there are far more skilled tiers than I on this forum.

Several years back, I tried these with regular thread and bagged partridge feathers. My tying skills were not then what they are today but those flies looked awful in comparison. I figured I might as well get going in the right direction or not tie them at all.

What REALLY made a difference on how these turned out was buying a quality skin versus using the bagged feathers. They quality is far superior. Since I have been fishing soft hackle patterns more and more, it just made sense. I read up on these and everyone says to go with the silk body, so why not do it right.

I sure do hope you get into some fish tonight
stenacron likes this.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:21 PM

laurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to behold
Talking Re: What have you been tying today?

Tonight was spent tying up caddis patterns, now for a big glass of Morgans spiced rum

mcnerney, kelkay, jaybo41 and 3 others like this.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:03 PM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
A care package for a buddy who's taking his first trip to Cape Cod this weekend. I can't make the trip so I figured this way I can take some credit for the fish caught this weekend

Clousers, Deceivers, a furled leader for his casting enjoyment. For some reason I always do well with pink up there.
Before I even read the post, I immediately thought "Cape Cod" when I saw the picture. If he doesn't catch, it definitely isn't a problem with the flies.
swirlchaser likes this.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:00 AM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Something i tied out of some Hendrickosn dubbing.
mcnerney, kelkay, sumojo and 2 others like this.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:34 PM

Location: Port Washington, WI (fish areas around grafton and plymouth)
pikefisher69 has a spectacular aura aboutpikefisher69 has a spectacular aura about

Click the image to open in full size.I tied 6 CDC BWO flies in sz 18, 1 parachute mahogany dun sz 16, 1 parachute adams sz 16, 1 sz 14 mosquito, 1 cdc and elk sz 18, a muskrat nymph, and a makeshift caddis larva.

Last edited by pikefisher69; 06-15-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:23 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

UV2 SNOW SHOE SPARKLE WING CADDIS CRIPPLE (Tan) - TMC 101, #14 - #18....this is a #18

PT/TB
mcnerney, sumojo and rubberguy like this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 06-16-2013, 10:27 AM

Location: Port Washington, WI (fish areas around grafton and plymouth)
pikefisher69 has a spectacular aura aboutpikefisher69 has a spectacular aura about

Tied 4 caddis patterns, 2 adams patterns, 1 mahogany dun pattern (parachute), and 1 cinnamon ant, all in sz 16. I also tied 2 more CDC BWO patterns & 2 caddis larva in size 18. Then I tied to conehead size 8 wooly buggers, one is all black, and the other is a black marabou tail, purple peacock herl body and grizzly saddle hackle as the hackle. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.
sumojo likes this.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:36 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrivertroutbum View Post
Before I even read the post, I immediately thought "Cape Cod" when I saw the picture. If he doesn't catch, it definitely isn't a problem with the flies.
Thanks, he did pretty good. the color pink is magical up there
Old 06-17-2013, 08:17 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: What have you been tying today?

Pink is magical!
swirlchaser likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser