The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree12304Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2013, 12:47 PM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Last one... I gotta get some work done

Click the image to open in full size.
mcnerney, jaybo41 and sumojo like this.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 06-28-2013, 11:25 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Had smallmouth on my mind tonight. Tied up a few of Galloup's Sex Dungeons and Craw Daddys.
mcnerney, jaybo41 and sumojo like this.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:31 PM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light

Love the craw daddy! I think that'll be one of my next projects

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 06-29-2013, 06:46 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by enolaeagle View Post
I'm trying to expand my horizon and tie some things that I've never done before.
This is my first attempt at a tan caddis emerger. I used deer hair and some gold wire ribbing. Any feedback on the overall look? I gotta fine tune this stuff

My tying is very basic but I always say the fish will tell you if it's a good fly. Tie a couple, go fish them. The other is a spare if the fish really like it and get your first one. If it doesnt work don't tie anymore. That's what I do.
mcnerney, jaybo41, sumojo and 1 others like this.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:33 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

PINK OPAL CLACKA CADDIS – Potter/Weise Variant – TMC 101, Daiichi 1110, #14 – #18…

PT/TB
mcnerney, jaybo41, sumojo and 2 others like this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 06-30-2013, 09:07 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

WEB (sub) SURFER CADDIS, Olive – Daiichi 1250, #16 – #18…

PT/TB

Old 07-01-2013, 12:01 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Getting ready for the long weekend coming up...

Looking forward to dunking this "R&D fly"... took a strand each of olive and bright green embroidery floss and twisted them into a rope before wrapping the body.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 07-01-2013, 09:02 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post

Looking forward to dunking this "R&D fly"... took a strand each of olive and bright green embroidery floss and twisted them into a rope before wrapping the body.
Really nice ties, you have the sparse hackles mastered. That's always been a tough part for me through the years until more recently. Tying Intruders, of all things, is where it all sunk in and made sense.

My guess is that you'll get plenty of tugs on that R&D fly. Let us know how you do with it. That's a great looking fly!
kelkay, stenacron, sumojo and 1 others like this.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:52 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post

I luvs soft hackles!

I do the same thing with the multi-hued bodies: 1/3 standard rayon floss strands, then use one 1/3 brown, two 1/3's 'insect green' and 0n 1/3 light olive or yellow and then twist them into a loose yarn so the floss will layout flat as it usually does.
jaybo41 and sumojo like this.

Last edited by random user; 07-02-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:36 PM

MICRO TUBE/DNA CADDIS EMERGER (Brown) – Lawson/Variant…Daiichi 1110, #16 – #20…

PT/TB
sumojo likes this.