The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree8658Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 07:20 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by calftail View Post
Once I got the nymph-knack I actually got bored catching fish on this fly. It's a good one. "Olive Scud".

I even caught a muskrat on it !

Click the image to open in full size.
Would you put up the receipe for your Olive Scud, certainly looks like a fish catcher!

Larry
kelkay likes this.

Larry
Old 08-10-2013, 12:16 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Would you put up the receipe for your Olive Scud, certainly looks like a fish catcher!

Larry
Here you go Larry....

Hook: #14 Mustad 94840
Thread: Olive Danville 6/0 Flymaster
Tail: Light gray mallard quill slip about 1/8" wide and clipped square on the end a hook gap long.
Eyes: 2 Gold Pheasant Tippet fibers clipped on the end to suggest the eyes. Tie the tippets on top of the duck quill and position the black tips half way on the tail.
Body: Make a dubbing loop and insert the dubbing in pinches. Trim the dubbing in the loop on either side about 1/4" on each side with a pair of long utility scissors to make the spun loop spikey.
Spin the loop and wind the dubbing, not too tightly, up to behind the eye. Tie off and whip a head. Trim the top of the body from the eye to the tail and leave the bottom of the body long to suggest the legs.

Notes on the dubbing: You won't find the stuff I use to blend the dubbing mixture. I bought cards of gift wrapping yarn in Target back in the early '70's and it has long since disappeared from the shelves. I'm sure it's nylon and think Antron would be a good match. For the dubbing blend keep it on the light side and rely on the thread color to come through and add more color to the nymph. Your after a glowing life-like translucent body. For the olive scud I blend about 1 part med. olive to 8 parts light gray. Keep in mind that the fly will darken when wet.

I also tie a dead scud using a tinge of orange in the dubbing and a cream/tan scud.

I never felt the need for any kind of plastic or rubber back for a scud. I tried some with backs but to me it detracted from the translucent illusion I get when using just the dubbing. The scuds a good swimmer so I don't weight the fly and I use a dry fly hook so that it can play in the currents. I weight the leader with lead about 18" above the fly. I also found that the light wire hook had better hooking qualities than the the heavier wet fly hook. I try to tie the fly so it has a swimming attitude in the water (stretched out) and make no attempt at the curled up posture seen tied on short "scud" hooks. The body dubbing will sweep back to make a nice swimming scud form after a few pulls in the water.
sumojo likes this.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:17 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

RED ZONE BM MIDGE EMERGER (s) (Olive) – Freeman/Variant – TMC 200R, #18 – #22…

PT/TB
mcnerney, flytire, sumojo and 1 others like this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 08-10-2013, 06:19 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

ANACONDA MIDGE LARVAE (Copper) – Daiichi 1130, #18 – #22…

PT/TB
mcnerney, kelkay, flytire and 2 others like this.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:46 PM

LIMEY THE (Midge) LARVAE - Daiichi 1130, #18 - #22...

PT/TB
mcnerney and flytire like this.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:17 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by calftail View Post
Here you go Larry....

Hook: #14 Mustad 94840
Thread: Olive Danville 6/0 Flymaster
Tail: Light gray mallard quill slip about 1/8" wide and clipped square on the end a hook gap long.
Eyes: 2 Gold Pheasant Tippet fibers clipped on the end to suggest the eyes. Tie the tippets on top of the duck quill and position the black tips half way on the tail.
Body: Make a dubbing loop and insert the dubbing in pinches. Trim the dubbing in the loop on either side about 1/4" on each side with a pair of long utility scissors to make the spun loop spikey.
Spin the loop and wind the dubbing, not too tightly, up to behind the eye. Tie off and whip a head. Trim the top of the body from the eye to the tail and leave the bottom of the body long to suggest the legs.

Notes on the dubbing: You won't find the stuff I use to blend the dubbing mixture. I bought cards of gift wrapping yarn in Target back in the early '70's and it has long since disappeared from the shelves. I'm sure it's nylon and think Antron would be a good match. For the dubbing blend keep it on the light side and rely on the thread color to come through and add more color to the nymph. Your after a glowing life-like translucent body. For the olive scud I blend about 1 part med. olive to 8 parts light gray. Keep in mind that the fly will darken when wet.

I also tie a dead scud using a tinge of orange in the dubbing and a cream/tan scud.

I never felt the need for any kind of plastic or rubber back for a scud. I tried some with backs but to me it detracted from the translucent illusion I get when using just the dubbing. The scuds a good swimmer so I don't weight the fly and I use a dry fly hook so that it can play in the currents. I weight the leader with lead about 18" above the fly. I also found that the light wire hook had better hooking qualities than the the heavier wet fly hook. I try to tie the fly so it has a swimming attitude in the water (stretched out) and make no attempt at the curled up posture seen tied on short "scud" hooks. The body dubbing will sweep back to make a nice swimming scud form after a few pulls in the water.
Thanks, much appreciated! I'll have to tie a few up and give them a try on the local streams and lakes.

Larry

Larry
Old 08-11-2013, 07:56 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

The "Ambrose Bucktail".......

mcnerney, sumojo and rubberguy like this.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:53 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Tied this with fishskulls new crawfish backs made from leather i put the clear cure goo on it for the shell look.
sumojo likes this.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:51 PM

GRAY MATTER MIDGE - Gamakatsu C12-B, #18 - #20...

PT/TB
kelkay, flytire and sumojo like this.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:29 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Baby bass
4.5" long
single rear hook
single articulation
rattling

Ugly as sin out of the water but looks fantastic in it.
stimulator2, stenacron and sumojo like this.