The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree9870Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2013, 05:33 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted4887 View Post
Definitely NOT a midge

Double 6/0 musky fly

Click the image to open in full size.
Ya need to tie yourself a hot pink double 6/0 san juan
mcnerney, kelkay and jaybo41 like this.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:19 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Haha, articulate a 6/0 San Juan. Even I don't think the Beaulah 10/11 would handle that hog, nor would I want to see if it could.

Luckily, I know just the guy to tie up one of those.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I said I would take a couple pictures and so I did. If you have been reading my opinionated posts for years then you've heard me rail against 'Weight'.

Well sometimes you gotta change with the wind. I am now taking folks fishing for a fee and it is my responsibility to help them to be successful. These flies are trout & char magnets and so I am teaching myself how to tie Sculpins that will fish deep in heavy current where we find the big rainbows here.

I am getting better at making them and have done about 2 dozen or close to that. This batch is the first with the weighted heads. I've been using little plastic eyes to keep the weight down on my flies up till now. I know the head weights will get trout and I can't wait to fish them.

I also have a box full of unweighted ones for more shallow waters of small creeks. All of them have a #8 Gamakatsu hook trailing on 12 lb Dacron with the barb pinched so we don't damage the trout
mcnerney, madjoni, jaybo41 and 2 others like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 08-23-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:04 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

skulpin heads... I like the design, and the flies they make. But every time i have tried to fish one it gets snagged on the bottom with quickness. Those things are like anchors! Fast water only... or silty bottoms.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:13 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ard: I hope you have cast and fished some of those. I tied up a few and they are scary to cast, I have no control of them in the air and quit using them because I was afraid of bodily injury. Maybe it is different with a two handed rod?

Larry

Old 08-23-2013, 10:32 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Ard: I hope you have cast and fished some of those. I tied up a few and they are scary to cast, I have no control of them in the air and quit using them because I was afraid of bodily injury. Maybe it is different with a two handed rod?

Larry
I'm with you Larry! Like casting a wild shotgun slug! Might need to wear a helmet with them!
Hardyreels likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 08-23-2013, 10:37 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi John,

I started a new thread about the choice I've made here............ I had to tie them, and I must fish them
jaybo41 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-23-2013, 10:49 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Ard
I read your other post on them! Good advice on the leader butt and line flotant! If I decide to ever take my life in my hands casting them again I'll try your system . I just won't let my son have any as he has the record for hitting me in the back of the head with Clousers so I don't want to even think of the damage he could do with those things.
Funny how you've gone to the " dark side " because recently I've been fishing alot using one of your favorite techniques, swinging streamers and really enjoying it!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 08-24-2013, 03:28 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

madjoni and jaybo41 like this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 08-24-2013, 02:01 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Those are beauties flytire, very well done!

I've been working on tubes, here's one of them.

madjoni likes this.