The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree11700Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 09:17 PM

rogue runner is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Not sure if this one will catch fish but I always thought it was a neat pattern for some reason

Royal coachman
Click the image to open in full size.

And then one I know catches fish

Sorry for the picture quality

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2
madjoni, jaybo41 and yonder like this.

Meep....Meep.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:50 AM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue runner View Post
Not sure if this one will catch fish but I always thought it was a neat pattern for some reason

Royal coachman

And then one I know catches fish

Sorry for the picture quality

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2
Those will work. I have caught many rogue river steelhead on the coachman. Looks great!!

\I've been tying some wierd stuff. This is one of my "all purpose, all species" flies. Its a floating dragon fly nymph (you can see step by step details in Danblantons "hot flies" section.
My target is carp. Tho they will take all kindsa fish species. This is actually more of a "hover" fly than floating. Perfect for laid up carp.

kelkay, jaybo41 and yonder like this.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:24 AM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

My project for the upcoming year is to get better at stacking deer hair. I'll call this fly #1, and see where I get by the end of winter when I really go nuts with this stuff.

Hands down the hardest part about these deer hair flies is trimming them. Between my fat, clumsy fingers and lack of artistic ability, these flies are a definite challenge.

jaybo41, itchmesir and random user like this.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:42 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: What have you been tying today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted4887 View Post
My project for the upcoming year is to get better at stacking deer hair. I'll call this fly #1, and see where I get by the end of winter when I really go nuts with this stuff.

Hands down the hardest part about these deer hair flies is trimming them. Between my fat, clumsy fingers and lack of artistic ability, these flies are a definite challenge.

I dunno ted, I'd say that you nailed it with that one. That's a damn good looking fly if you ask me. Really, really well done!
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:27 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Timmy’s (Tan) OVER THE RAINBOW SOWBUG (s) – Daiichi 1110, #16 – #20…

SOFT HACKLE SOWBUG (s) – Charlie Craven – Daiichi 1560, #14 – #18…

FUZZLE SOWBUG (UV2 Gray) – Murray Wilson/Variant – TMC 101, #14 – #20…

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 08-30-2013, 11:49 AM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
I dunno ted, I'd say that you nailed it with that one. That's a damn good looking fly if you ask me. Really, really well done!

Thanks Jaybo. I kind of messed up the collar by getting a little too quick with the razor though. I'm working on an identical fly right now, and am hoping to have a more refined collar and less color blending on top. We'll see though.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:03 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted4887 View Post
Thanks Jaybo. I kind of messed up the collar by getting a little too quick with the razor though. I'm working on an identical fly right now, and am hoping to have a more refined collar and less color blending on top. We'll see though.
Feel free to send me your "seconds" LOL. Seriously man, that's really great work.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:55 PM

So here is a second attempt with similar colors. I didn't do any blending of colors on the bottom of the fly like I did on the first attempt though (Yellow in the rear fading to orange in the front). That adds a lot time, and a lot of mess.

I do feel that I did a much better job with shaping the collar this time though, as I took plenty of time when I got to that point. Should be fun to see the progression of my work over the next few months.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:03 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

Ted...

By all means stand and take a bow....
rccola712 and yonder like this.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:19 PM

zinox is on a distinguished road

Omg that looks sick wish i could do something half as good as that.

R E S P E C T