The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree12339Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 11:54 AM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Meat Whistles

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:54 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird View Post
Meat Whistles

I HATE THIS THREAD! I want to be tying fewer patterns not more.
kelkay and MoscaPescador like this.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:36 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq13 View Post
Lord, does it come with its own space ship? That thing is frightening. Very pretty, but man, I've never seen something so iridescent. Do you have a recipe?
Thanks.

TAIL: CDL, Medium Speckled
ABDOMEN: Nano Silk, Black 12/0 - over Tiemco 16/0 Black Thread
RIB: 2 twisted strands Chartreuse Fluoro Fibre - coat with Hard-As-Hull
THORAX:Iridescent Purple Peacock Herl - Spirit River
HACKLE: Dyed Purple Starling - White Fox Fur and Feather CO
BEAD: Silver Tungsten, sized to hook

This is designed for Winter Baetis here in CA's Eastern Sierras...

PT/TB
rubberguy likes this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 09-28-2013, 10:42 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

I can see that working on exotics down here, Oscars and chilicids. They like shiny. Maybe tied on something in the 8-10 range. Thanks.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:22 PM

bocast is on a distinguished road

I'm tying basic flies today, to fill up some starter boxes for friends of mine who just took the plunge into fly fishing. I want them to have some basic nymphs, streamers, dries and wets, as much to teach them the names of flies as to give them a start for trout, bluegill, steelhead and small mouth bass. Rather than tie my own favorites, they should be patterns they would see in a fly shop in Pennsylvania, or by the great lakes tribs, or out west.

What would you tie for a couple of newcomers just learning how to cast, how to tie knots, and how to fish nymphs, streamers and dries?

I'm starting with brassies (chartreuse, red, black, copper), rs2's, wooly buggers, leeches, parachute Adams, tellico nymphs, red rock worms, eggs, and some soft hackles.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-28-2013, 11:35 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Maybe some bead head prince nymphs and/or pheasant tails, yellow humpies or elk hair caddis and some clousers for the smallies (doubly true if you have white bass or shad).
Old 09-29-2013, 12:02 AM

bocast is on a distinguished road

Those are GREAT examples of exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much. I'll include those, except for the humpies, as my humpies don't really resemble a properly tied humpy yet.... I'm still learning :-).

Thanks!!

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 PM ----------

Oh and gold ribbed hare's ears, of course.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:12 AM

Glad to help. My strong advice, if there are white bass in the picture (I don't know if they stock them in Pa.) is to tie those clousers sparsely and put a little bit of flash (just a few strands) in the over wing. I've caught smallies when I lived in Indiana, but mostly by accident when I was after white bass or walleyes or bluegills and crappie. That's one fish I never did figure out. Too bad, as they were a lot of fun on a four or six weight.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:44 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

tbblom, jbird and calftail like this.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:36 PM

Aloha! That's mighty darn tropical looking, mighty pretty too. Nice fly.