The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree10142Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 04:12 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

I've been working on some Iceman Midges (a Jay Zimmerman creation) for the midge swap. Below is his photo, I haven't completed mine yet, been having some issues getting the Clear Goo on the way I want it.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:19 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Wow, those really POP.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:22 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad I got in on the midge swap. Can't wait to get my hands on one of those
Old 12-22-2011, 04:34 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
I'm glad I got in on the midge swap. Can't wait to get my hands on one of those
If you're interested in tying some up, here is a video on how to tie the Iceman Midge, their pretty easy to tie.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:04 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to have to buy some UV goo, Larry. Those flies look great. I've coated midges with Sally Hanson clear, but it would take days to get that sort of depth.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:05 PM
Administrator

Frank: If you have any UV Knot Sense that is what they used in the video, I used the Clear Goo, to me they both seem to act very similiar, when done you will need to apply a very thin coat of head cement to get a hard finish.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:14 AM

laurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to behold

Larry
the wire bodies look fantastic bet they will account for a fish or two
Old 12-23-2011, 07:15 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

cool Larry, I have done coated midges with HAN, but don't have the goo. They do indeed have a ton of depth. Let us know how they fish.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:48 AM

notenuftoys has a spectacular aura aboutnotenuftoys has a spectacular aura about

I've been trying to decide what to tie next, and the Iceman just made the top of the list. Thanks, Larry!

I got some CCG a few months ago for the first time, and it's wonderful stuff. I never would mix epoxy, just didn't want the smell, mess, and didn't have a turner for drying. But I've been slapping CCG on lots of different flies, even tried to epoxy my kids with it but they wouldn't sit still.

I can imagine a ton of variations to that Iceman Midge pattern, too. Multiple colors (red and green for a Christmas Iceman), glass bead added... yep, this will keep me busy this weekend.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Great looking midges Larry