The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree11653Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 06:03 AM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

kelkay,

Fly gotta name? I see a lot of good stuff happenin' in that one.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:18 AM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

Cousin to the "Carson Quill Wing Coachman" I posted earlier, here's the "H.W. Carson Coachman"...........

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Very nice,

This would work for all things that swim here!

Me, I have a dozen Light Spruce to knock out today and I am beginning to mess around with Intruder style flies. I'm planning to make a few in food color and some in black & blue to use as attractors. When I finish a few I'll come and post.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-12-2013, 01:38 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Calftail, is that bucktail? I love that fly. Is that hen greenwell or dry fly?
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelkay View Post
Calftail, is that bucktail? I love that fly. Is that hen greenwell or dry fly?
Kelkay

That's all calftail, dyed red and natural white and regular ole rooster dyed dark coachman brown hackle for the collar. You could certainly use bucktail for the wing and tail. Most of that hackle has a really dark rib in it when you pluck it from the top of the neck. I needed big hackle for the fly is #6. I doubled the " dry fly" hackle and wrapped it wet fly.

Fly was made popular by ole school tyer (like me--ha-ha) Roy Donnelly for west coast steelheaders. Popular size was #4 and #6. Read up on Donnelly, he's part of our fly tying heritage. A master tyer !

ps..you didn't answer my post #2511 about your fly ?
Old 10-12-2013, 08:08 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Calftail, sorry I missed your question. It is a Fiery Brown Hog Hopper. It is more full than it looks, with the deer hair. I only had enough legs to do a half dozen, and that turned out the best. That fly to me, is harder than it looked. Mine is a variation of that fly.

Thank you for the info. (on YOUR fly) I would've never guessed that was calf tail, it is awfully straight for that. Most of the calf tails I have are kinky, or real wavy. Is the coachman brown a saddle, or neck? I know I don't have that in a dry fly...but I do have a fiery brown saddle.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:25 PM

ah !...I googled fiery brown hopper. Lots to look at. Cool.

Tip...finer hair on the caftail is at the top of the tail. The hair is straighter and some tails have hair up there that looks like polar bear. Anyways I love the stuff.

The hackle I used is neck but I would use saddle too if it was the right length.
kelkay likes this.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:55 AM

tpo has a spectacular aura abouttpo has a spectacular aura abouttpo has a spectacular aura about

I've been tying and fishing this fly over the summer/ early fall. Its been deadly for good size bass, especially with a 5"+ tail like the ones below. Here's a sample of the catch; should have taken the picture with the fly in his mouth but I was about to release him and remembered I had my i-phone in my vest.

Tom
Old 10-14-2013, 01:30 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

FAST WATER EMERGER BAETIS – Nemec/Variant – TMC 200R, #18 – #20…this is a #20…

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 10-14-2013, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

AK. Assassin interpreted to an Intruder style tie.

The fly would look like this if tied conventionally;

The fly catches salmon and trout in either style but I am trying to catch up with the past 15 years and learning to convert many of my ties to the modern styles of tying.

Instead of the poly fiber wing & crystal flash feelers the Intruder uses long polar bear fibers to replace the color and sparkle. I see good things associated with these flies

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;