The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree10964Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2013, 07:15 PM

gr8outdoorz has a spectacular aura aboutgr8outdoorz has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Here is a fun one to throw during the cold months...Mongrel Meat

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:36 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

See youre reading the fly fish food blog. Its good stuff!! the grump frumpy has worked well for me too.

I tied more scuds yesterday, purple with orange bead hot spots.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 11-16-2013, 10:24 PM

gr8outdoorz has a spectacular aura aboutgr8outdoorz has a spectacular aura about

Yes I have! It is good stuff!! I haven't tied the Frumpy yet. It looks pretty effective though. I might have to tie some up for my upcoming "trophy hunting" trip in a couple weeks I have been stocking up on articulated streamers for the trip. I get goose bumps just thinking about throwing big streamers in fall/winter!
Old 11-17-2013, 01:08 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I've yet to have good luck with big streamers

Oh well, they are still super fun to tie!

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 11-17-2013, 02:28 PM

Make your way down to the Little Red and White River between October & March...your luck will change

I don't fish for spawning browns but staging ones are actively feeding & fun to catch. January & February are my favorite times. The spawn has ended and both big browns & bows are pretty active then. Can't wait to get my GoPro and get some good videos!
mcnerney and stl_geoff like this.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:05 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

MOO's DIAMOND DUN SCUD (Blue) Daiichi 1760, #18

PT/TB
mcnerney, flytire, jaybo41 and 4 others like this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 11-17-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8outdoorz View Post
Make your way down to the Little Red and White River between October & March...your luck will change

I don't fish for spawning browns but staging ones are actively feeding & fun to catch. January & February are my favorite times. The spawn has ended and both big browns & bows are pretty active then. Can't wait to get my GoPro and get some good videos!
Yeah I know where they are and have had a few follows but nothing to eat...yet. I'll be at taney in two weeks and there is a good chance of getting big browns to eat meat so I should tie some mongrels, however I really want to catch on my my moopy zoo lion fly I'm developing

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 11-17-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
Yeah I know where they are and have had a few follows but nothing to eat...yet. I'll be at taney in two weeks and there is a good chance of getting big browns to eat meat so I should tie some mongrels, however I really want to catch on my my moopy zoo lion fly I'm developing
Man you keep throwing them and you will get bit. I hear Taney is a great place to fish. "moopy zoo lion" now that is a name for a fly!!
Old 11-18-2013, 01:34 AM

argail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by planettrout View Post

MOO's DIAMOND DUN SCUD (Blue) Daiichi 1760, #18

PT/TB
looks like something from the depths of the ocean)

---------- Post added at 01:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 AM ----------

played with dubbing...

Old 11-18-2013, 07:35 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Looks great guys, after reading the Snowshoe Rabbit thread and watching the video on the emerger I decided I needed to tie up a couple. No Snowshoe so I subbed bleached Elk in its place.

Size 20 on a Klinkhamer hook