The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree12404Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2014, 04:47 PM

kcjerryd is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Just starting out...still have a ways to go as you can see on the midge

Zebra Midge #16
Click the image to open in full size.

Carolina Red Back Spider
Old 01-16-2014, 08:34 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcjerryd View Post
Just starting out...still have a ways to go as you can see on the midge

Zebra Midge #16

Carolina Red Back Spider
I guarantee you those will catch fish. I still have the first fly I ever tied and caught a fish on. Lets just say my ties now are a lot cleaner and more proportionate. However that first fish didn't care so much and as a 39 year old man I grinned like a 5year old on Christmas when I caught him on my own creation.

Stick with it, it is addictive
mcnerney likes this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 01-16-2014, 08:43 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by calftail View Post
Sometimes I rummage through my fly tying stuff and an old pattern I haven't done for a while kinda calls out to be tied when I see the materials.

The "Coachman" by Tom Bosworth............

Simple and beautiful. Simply beautiful!
Old 01-16-2014, 09:50 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

"They'll be days like this"...
Old 01-16-2014, 10:00 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold
Default My daughters first fly tie

She did it herself. First time on the vise and she wanted to tie a gill fly. I showed her each step and then backed off the thread and I made her do it herself without anything but talking her through it. I think this might catch a bluegill.

Might be handy as my eyesight likely continues to fade with time.

mcnerney, kelkay, baseman1 and 2 others like this.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:01 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

That would also be a nice trout fly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2014, 10:08 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by delopez View Post
That would also be a nice trout fly!

Trout presentation is a challenge for her but she is young of course. We need some bluegill gratification this spring before she loses faith in fishing with a fly.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:09 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

Get her swinging through the rapids and she's bound to catch something.

mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:36 PM

IMO her first fly is evidence that personal instruction is very valuable. My first dozen flies looked nowhere near this good. (Yeah I am lil proud of her first fly). I tied dozens of flies before I had a result I would even think of showing to anyone.
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:55 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

That is sweet man, how old is she? My daughter has asked if we can go toe flies, she sits on my lap while I try to crank out something simple. She's only 5, but I think she could get it in a couple years.

sent from my tablet...so please excuse the typos, spell check is an amazing thing!