The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree12398Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 08:02 PM

peenie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

An Irish inspired Cascade. The salmon should like it here.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:15 PM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light

My first attempt at
Flashback simple scud sz.12 & 14
Old 01-27-2014, 07:40 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Tied up a Pass Lake variant today, first fly at the new house.
mcnerney and sumojo like this.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:49 PM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanl View Post
Baetis flashback BWO ?? sz.20

Just tried few more Flashback baetis in Grey and Lt.Olive colors to match BWO
Sz.20 but unlike the ones above (on curved emerged hook) these new ones were on reg nymph hook. Found it a bit easier to work on straight hook

Little by little I'm starting to fill up front half of my nymph box. If all slots used it should hold about 460 flies. Any patterns you guys not seeing there that I should add (I fish CO) As for 2nd half if the box I'm slowly filling with larger flies such as worms, rubberleged stoneflies so I won't need 460 to fill it
bigjim5589, kelkay, sumojo and 1 others like this.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:28 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Roman you have good taste and great selection going there. Being I fish the front range myself, my two favorite I dont see in your box unless I am missing them. I see alot of little midges like the JuJubee, RS2 etc etc. For bigger nypmhs, besides the hot wire prince these below are my top go to flies

Tungsten surveyor, great heavy fly to fish deep runs and catches it's fair share of fish

My other summertime fly for rocky mountain park. I totally copied Frank Drummond of Bush Creek Cane on this one. The Franks Flashy for me in a size 14 hammered fish in the park for me last year. Recipe is not commonly available but there is a close enough recipe that you can figure it out from. Here is two color variations , Orange and Green.

One more for good measure the CDC Pheasant Tail in a Size 16

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 01-27-2014, 10:21 PM

^^ great thanks, ill try those out, i've been sticking with mainly natural colors of the pheasant tail flies, but ill have to get some green/red/orange to try out.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:33 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
^^ great thanks, ill try those out, i've been sticking with mainly natural colors of the pheasant tail flies, but ill have to get some green/red/orange to try out.
You are welcome, if you try that Frank's Flashy, google it and give it a shot. It took me a few tries to get the sequence correct. Shoot me a PM if you want to know the few little things that helped me. The CDC Pheasant Tail is straight from Charlie Craven's site

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 01-28-2014, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
The CDC Pheasant Tail is straight from Charlie Craven's site
ill need to go get some CDC feathers in what looks like Grey, all i have is White right not.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
ill need to go get some CDC feathers in what looks like Grey, all i have is White right not.
The fish won't mind white at all, mine looks more white to me than grey. I just hope the fish are as color challenged as me.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 01-28-2014, 12:12 PM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough

Taught myself to tie a variation of the bonefish bitters... finally got some UV cure stuff from loon, and it is really fun to use. Just ordered a huge pile of saltwater streamer materials, and I am looking forward to going nuts and filling some boxes.
sumojo likes this.