The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree11652Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2011, 03:42 AM
EXPATRIATE will become famous soon enoughEXPATRIATE will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

To be honest I'v been a bit embarrassed by the sloppy way I've been finishing some of my flies and now some of the guys want to buy a few I'm not about to send them with messy untidy heads, etc. Okay for me-not for my friends, Also getting practise on salmon/steelhead patterns as I've done a few just to get the idea' but will soon have to order new hooks-got a bulk set last year, but have used most of them on pike flies and trout zonkers. Tied up two dozen dry and wet flies last night for a friend in Lincolnshire and will stock up on anything I need for the Streamer/Wet Fly Tie-Along. Hey, Ard-is that stuff you ordered from Steve Cooper at Cookshill then?. He does probably the best natural materials I've ever ordered and quite reasonable prices who I met once at a fdg meeting here in Altrincham.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:44 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, what with rehab on the newly fused ankle as well as getting ready for several spring expos and tying demos I've been at it at the vise for quite a while now. Here are some of what I've been tying over the past three months or so:

Scuds in olive, amber and white:
Click the image to open in full size.

Damsels:

South Fork Specials:

Flashback, bead-head Pheasant-tail nymphs:

A variety of midge patterns:

Rainbow Warriors:

Improved Shop Vac:

Parasol Emergers:

Halfback/Foamback Emergers:

Big Ugly Rubberlegs:

Anyway, I've been busy. Now I'm just tweaking and perfecting a few recipes and flies for some workshops and tying theaters upcoming.

Kelly.
Joey Bagels likes this.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Glad to see these threads staying alive, I am putting up materials for making a bunch of Santiam Spectrum wets like the one below. This was the prize winner last year in all round performance here. The first one cast landed a big char and that fish was followed by many more char, trout, sockeye, and a few silvers. Incidentally all the fish were caught on just two of the flies. I needed to use a second one after the original began to come undone. My best guess is that the first fly landed about 25 fish before things got loose.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

This is the one that was used first;

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

As the season moved along the Skykomish Sunrise, Thor, and Freight train along with my Bush Doctor pretty much finished out the duties of fish catching. I need to make a few of my Nine Three variant also because they get torn up on my local trout stream, so it's about time to get busy up here.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-24-2011, 07:51 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

Kellly, How do you make the body on the ugly rubberlegs fly? I love that.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:34 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Nice flies Kelly and Ard!!!
Old 02-24-2011, 08:45 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Excellent flies there guys
Kelly Damsels is stunner
Cant really comment on Ardis spey fly because I dont use or tie that type of flies but I like it
Old 02-24-2011, 09:35 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

While waiting for the mailman to bring me some wilson doubles I got antsy and tied these guys on a walleye wide gap from Gamikatsu size 1. Dont let the size # fool you these fit inside the diameter of a quarter. I really like the way they turned out on said hook and will definitly use them again after a proper swing test.
Bash's Popcorn Shrimp
Iced Teal (daiichi 2051)
Bunched wing amarillo
Buched wing verde
Hope you like'm
Old 02-24-2011, 09:38 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Nice flies WT BASH. I missed them before.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:10 PM

smallieman will become famous soon enoughsmallieman will become famous soon enough

So be easy on me I had a quick 10 minutes and tied these fast. But the one orange one I could not get the cone all the way up but just seeing how the colors are. So what do you guys think

No Idea about this one just looking to make a small fly

So will they catch? I also made ones without cones
Old 02-25-2011, 11:21 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer09 View Post
Kellly, How do you make the body on the ugly rubberlegs fly? I love that.
This is one of the simplest flies to tie and catches a majority of fish for me during the year. I tie it on a size 4 or 6 curved nymph hook, tie in the rubberlegs material for the tails and then attach variegated chenille in the color you see in the pic. I then attach the legs up the body and the antennae. Wrap the chenille up the hook and tie it off behind the eye and you're done. I usually weight this with about 20 wraps of .030 non-lead wire. I also tie them in darker colors, but the color you see in the pic is the most productive.

Kelly.