The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree11712Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 04:40 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Much like TB above, getting ready for the thaw. Tied up some size 20 HiVis Para BWO. Also been tying size 20 Mole Fly pattern and size 20 hi vis para bwo on emerger hook (cross between mole fly and parachute bwo, bottom pic)

Click the image to open in full size.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 02-09-2014, 06:01 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Copper john variant
Old 02-09-2014, 06:28 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthrnk03 View Post
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Copper john variant
That's a good pattern, I tie that in a size 6 for Salmonfly season and a size 12 for stonefly season.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 02-09-2014, 06:34 PM

Location: Port Washington, WI (fish areas around grafton and plymouth)
pikefisher69 has a spectacular aura aboutpikefisher69 has a spectacular aura about

Tied 4 pink squirrels, 8 san juan worms, and tried out making my first comparadun, and I think I will get better with more practice. I thought the wing was very sparse.
Hardyreels, ted4887, jml43 and 4 others like this.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:51 PM

garybrower is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxrider11976 View Post
Hey Gary, I see you posted your message with Tapatalk from your phone. Uploading pictures on tapatalk is as simple as taking the picture with your phone, and then uploading it with Tapatalk when ready to post it. That is how I post most of my pictures on this site.
Thanks for the tip. I've not done that before. I'm still learning all of the wonders of Tapatalk (as well as using the Forum site itself -- wondering if they're tied at all -- i.e., if "Mark Forum Read" translates to Tapatalk's status). I also have to figure out how to take a macro photo with my phone.

Too much learning for this old man!

Gary

---------- Post added at 08:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Gary: Very smart move on your part by learning a pattern by tying it in the larger sizes and slowly work down to small sizes, the repetition really helps with getting a single pattern perfected.

Larry
Thanks, Larry.

What I'm "learning" is that certain materials seem to tie better the smaller the fly. On the other hand, my fingers don't work as nimbly on the smaller flies. Such is life.

Gary
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Half dozen.................................. Sunray Shadow

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-11-2014, 01:22 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

TUNGSTEN BUD BUG Umpqua/Hanak C260BL #12 #16

PT/TB
bigjim5589, mcnerney and flytire like this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 02-11-2014, 03:44 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Is the dark hair bear, perhaps Ard ? Looks to be.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I'd PM but then it would look like I never answered......... Dyed Arctic Fox over deer tail. I think I put the tying recipe on the thread in Spey forums here.

---------- Post added at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 PM ----------

Yep, post #3 on the Sunray thread

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-11-2014, 08:31 PM

flycaster1977 is on a distinguished road

No pics, but ive spent the last month cranking out steely flies. Goin to the salmon river next week and wanted to be prepared. I tied somewhere around 450 flies. Sucker spawn, buggers, fleas, eggs of every kind and color, leeches, stones, pt nymph, egg sucking everything, lol. Ive been busy.

I still need to get ready for the thaw here though. I'll probably start with the small general stuff and work my way up.
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.