The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree12422Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2014, 08:10 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird View Post
My first attempt at a "Game Changer"

Click the image to open in full size.
Looks better than mine what did you use to shave it down? Mine is only 3 sections.

mcnerney, ted4887, kayo and 3 others like this.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:38 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

"Ugly" is subjective here! But ugly is good with this meaty thing. Frankly these big articulated things kind of scare me.

Nice work man. Next time you're at the drugstore get a pack of double edge razors. Fold them on half length wise, carefully, and they snap in half. Then it is super flexible and ridiculously sharp.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:03 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Size 8 and my first shot at cleaning up a deer spun head with a double edged razor. Yep I mauled the poo out of it gotta be careful with those things goes from a tiny bit too oops super easily. The hair packer worked great for getting a fuller head though.

mcnerney, jpbfly, baseman1 and 3 others like this.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:08 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigthor View Post
Looks better than mine what did you use to shave it down? Mine is only 3 sections.

First of all, I LOVE that material you used. What is that?? I trimmed mine with long, sharp scissors. The scissors were as long as the fly so I could make a nice long, clean snip. I'm not certain the flexible razors would work with these synthetic fibers as they are pretty soft and supple. I think the razor would just push the fibers.
mridenour likes this.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:13 PM

I used Baitfish Emulator Flash I believe this was the grey ghost coloring. The lighter tail was Medium Pearl Palmer Chenille with grey marabou for the very tip. I used my fly tying scissors and it was a pain to trim, I'll have to try the wife's sewing scissors next time. Amazing how much material goes into these.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:26 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

mcnerney, kelkay, jpbfly and 8 others like this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

Last edited by flytire; 03-31-2014 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:23 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Parmachenee Beau (L) and Parmachenee Belle (R)
Both tied on size 1 Mustad Crystal Hooks

Addicted To Vise
Old 03-31-2014, 09:55 AM

hokiehunter07 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird View Post
After the photo, I did just that but with marine goop. Ive done this before with other streamers and the rubbery texture of the dried goop can be trimmed to detail and remain flexible.
Goop works as well. It's a little heavier and can pull your tail down a bit if you put too much on.

---------- Post added at 08:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigthor View Post

I tied a game changer with Jake Grove and he uses a big old pair of scissors to get it close. Then uses some finer scissors to fine tune the shape. Don't cut too much off, but you'll find you need to cut off more than you think.

Here's a couple of my early ones...

kelkay and jbird like this.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:47 AM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Heres another...

Old 03-31-2014, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

A bunch of great fliesCongrats guys!!