The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree10973Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 09:38 PM

drlaser has a spectacular aura aboutdrlaser has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Lately Ive been practicing some Mrs. Simpsons waiting for my winged wets supply's to get here. I figure that these look meaty enough to attract some medium bass large gills and crappies.
Pics:

Click the image to open in full size.

also worth noticing is my new pictures they look better don't they?
Old 01-22-2012, 10:06 PM

la_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of light

Very nice tying indeed, nice minnow imitation

Waterhen bloas (BWO emerger ) for me
Kamasan B175 16-18
Pearsall's #4 (yellow) silk, one side coated with cobbler's wax to give hint of segmentation and olive color
Hint of grey fur dubbing
Waterhen soft hackle

madjoni and wt bash like this.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:12 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice
Default Re: wine cork frog

Thanks guys. We'll see if it and it's better looking brothers/cousins will work in the spring. I watched both of the football games today and tied a bunch of soft hackles mostle purple or orange bodies. Some peacock herl thoraxes, bit only a couple though.

Fun stuff. I'm looking forward to testing them out...
Old 01-23-2012, 02:42 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

Small Streamers, this is 1 3/4" long
#10 xl
25# test tail guard loop to keep tail from fouling hook
tail - two colors of spectrablend (Olive inside and golden stone sides)
body - dark olive chenille
wing - wolf hair strip
Head - carrabou
Waspi Cyclops 4mm gold bead

mcnerney and madjoni like this.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:18 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

JJ: Awesome looking streamer with some very unusual materials!

Old 01-24-2012, 07:26 AM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

thanks Larry, I have to trust the labels on the fur pieces as I've never actually trimmed hair from a wolf (seems curly for wolf hair), but that's what it said. Same with the carrabou and that one certainly didn't look like any pelt patch Ive ever seen. the hair ends are very blunt. I don't have much opportunity in the past to use these so gave it a go. I also don't tie many streamers but I'm headed to a major brown trout stream and needed some. I think the tails a bit long and I'm afraid of short strikes but I can trim it down stream side if that occurs. Fun little tie none the less so thought I would share.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:10 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Finished my Chicken Hawks for the Great Lakes Steelhead swap

And started my dries for the dry fly swap - Here is the comparadun, size 18
The wing is a bit too long on this one, so i'll keep it for my own box, all the others have shorter wings.

Also got some of my nymphs knocked out for the nymph swap. No picture yet!

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-24-2012, 10:01 AM

is the head on that chicken hawk made from the same stuff used for egg patterns (yarn or such)? interesting look to that one!

great ties for sure.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:12 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuramille View Post
is the head on that chicken hawk made from the same stuff used for egg patterns (yarn or such)? interesting look to that one!

great ties for sure.
Yeah, its McFly foam

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-24-2012, 02:43 PM

jml43 is on a distinguished road

been trying(key word trying) to tie a new Cray fish fly. Don't normally use these for bass but I guess I would try. Using number 2 hook. dumb bell head, hackle, dubbing, and thin skin. Tied about 10. first eight were terrible, Last two were ok. Try to get pics up later.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]