The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree11355Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 02:21 PM

la_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Irish style variation of a green drake - anyone think this will work in Montana?Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:00 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Prepping TransparAnt bodies:

Click the image to open in full size.

wt bash likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 02-12-2012, 04:44 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Silver - These look great, but I have a question (or two). I found some on-line instruction for the TransparAnt here: Tying & Fishing the TransparANT by Harrison Steeves, but it doesn't specify how you color the epoxy. My presumption in reading it, that the epoxy is clear or transluscent, and the thread color is what we are seeing. Is that accurate? Also, what epoxy did you use?

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 02-12-2012, 05:09 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
Flies for swaps, ready to be sent out!
what is that minnow pattern?
Old 02-12-2012, 06:23 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I tied some nice looking Lefty's Decievers this morning only to have my cat come chew them up when the heads were drying. ugh. Also have been experimenting with palmered marabou bass flies. they look promising.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 02-12-2012, 06:26 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

La JollaThose irish style dabblers are a great fly, I only wish i could tie them. As for Montana, i think you're a sure thing with those.

AJ, nice looking set of flies - which swaps are they for?

And those ANTS look killer too!

there is some great flies coming out this winter...everyone must have cabin fever!

Addicted To Vise
Old 02-12-2012, 06:36 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire instructor View Post
Silver - These look great, but I have a question (or two). I found some on-line instruction for the TransparAnt here: Tying & Fishing the TransparANT by Harrison Steeves, but it doesn't specify how you color the epoxy. My presumption in reading it, that the epoxy is clear or transluscent, and the thread color is what we are seeing. Is that accurate? Also, what epoxy did you use?
I've known Steeves for a long time from a different FF list. As the article states the original TransparAnt was a tedious process of epoxy and thread, with the thread forming the body, coated in epoxy.

The improved method uses glass beads. I use one bead for the thorax and two for the abdominal segment. I tie mine differently than Harrison. I put 3 beads on the hook and put the hook in the vise.

Then I use a thread, the same color as the bead, and lay a base over the hook. Keep building up the base until the first bead fits tightly over the thread base and push it into position. Then push the other two beads over the thread base leaving a space between them and the front bead for the hackle legs.

The thread should now be in front of the first bead and the bead should be well back from the eye of the hook so that when the bead is coated, the eye will not be clogged. Adjust the front bead position and place a few wraps of thread to form a "dam" of thread to keep the front bead from moving forward.

Then take the thread back with a single wrap over the front bead to between the thorax and abdominal beads. You need to make a few wraps of thread behind the front bead and another in front of the abdominal bead.

Then take the thread back between the two abdominal beads while holding the 3rd rear bead so it is flush against the 2nd bead. Fill in the notch between the beads with some thread wraps and then take a thread wrap over the rear bead. Take two wraps to hold that bead forward and then whip finish behind that bead and cut off the thread.

You can use epoxy as the article says but I use Clear Cure Goo, an UV cured acrylic resin. I use a flat toothpick to coat the beads and the thread to form the smooth body. Try to keep the acrylic off of the thread base between the thorax and abdomen so you can tie the hackle on a compressible thread base.

It the acrylic gets on the vice or a surface it cleans off with 70% isopropyl alcohol or the alcohol based hand sanitizers. Cure and harden the CCG with the CCG curing light. The thread wraps over beads will disappear.

The regular CCG cures with a tack, but they now make a tack free formulation. I would recommend that formula. I coat the bodies with a coat of Sally Hansen's because my CCG is the older formula.

If anyone want to try the CCG and needs the CCG UV light, they can get mine at a discount. PM me. I bought a more powerful light.

Note that on the red body, the bead is translucent and you can see into the red body. The black beads are opaque so they look solid.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 02-12-2012, 10:22 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Bunny Clousers for the Bass swap. there's still room if you want to get in.
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
kelkay and futuramille like this.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:18 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Eunan, the flies (moving clockwise from the top) are for the small streamer, winged wet, and steelhead swaps. The last swap was the second midge swap, but they're not on the foam.

Robert, the streamers are a pattern I just BSed (I'm sure someone has tied it before but I didn't follow any pattern). It's essentially a baby rainbow pattern (unfortunately I left out a stripe of pink which I realize now) with a craft fur base, several layers of deer hair, and a throat and head of marabou, plus an epoxy head with holographic eyes. The barring is just done with a sharpie.

---------- Post added at 12:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by la_jolla1 View Post
Irish style variation of a green drake - anyone think this will work in Montana?
Is that dyed hungarian partridge? Either way, it's awesome, great-looking pattern!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-13-2012, 12:07 AM

la_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
Is that dyed hungarian partridge? Either way, it's awesome, great-looking pattern!
Actually, the second hackle is English partridge dyed green and the front hackle is the same dyed yellow olive, both from Steve Cooper at Cookshill. Great Feathers in MD has Cookshill. I am sure Hungarian dyed will do equally well. I really like the barring on the hacle, and hope the fish do too!