The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree10985Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 12:46 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Well, here is the first fly i am willing to share online. It is my 5th completed fly since i started a few weeks ago. Nothing too complicated obviously but the first one i can look at and feel good about the finished product....

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:00 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Two thumbs up!!!

Very nice! There are a number of us all "just learning" on this forum, and it's fun to see how we are all progressing. I'd still be snapping thread, trying to sucessfully tie a Wolly Bugger, if it wasn't for the tying class that I'm enrolled in.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 02-20-2012, 01:19 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Looks good. it should definitly catch some fish.

tied some more near nuffs for the bass swap last night. i need to pay more attention when doing them since i missed a small detail on the first one.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 02-20-2012, 06:04 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by vans View Post
Well, here is the first fly i am willing to share online. It is my 5th completed fly since i started a few weeks ago. Nothing too complicated obviously but the first one i can look at and feel good about the finished product....
Hi Vans
And dont want to hear anything about manly hands because this fly is fine
Old 02-20-2012, 06:07 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
Had a go at a size 14 wet fly. The devil is in the details with these flies, and on that small a hook, the details are hard to achieve. But I think this one is definitely fishable.

The one on the left is size 6, the right, size 14. The head is crowded, but the eye is clear.
s fontinalis, those ties look superb! Very nice work!

---------- Post added at 07:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vans View Post

Great job vans, that Clouser looks great! BTW, great choice in vises
Old 02-20-2012, 11:27 PM

drlaser has a spectacular aura aboutdrlaser has a spectacular aura about

Well I finished the Mrs. Simpsons for the swaps they depart tomorrow:
Ive been tying some goslings for fun to so here are a few pictures:
and last but not least a new pattern for bass that I stumbled upon on the internet, it has the most interesting action in the water:
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:17 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I like the 3 patterns tyed killer style.

Pocono
Old 02-21-2012, 08:48 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I also love the killer style patterns!
Old 02-22-2012, 05:19 PM

crazyfish13 is on a distinguished road

http://Click the image to open in full size.
Decided to try my hand @ articulated flies today an this is what I got. Not to bad but going to have to come up with a second vise or another way to help. Any advise on tying articulated would be greatly appreciated.
jaybo41 likes this.

"Me got no house, me all time moving, light fire, make tent, sleep, all time go fish, how have house?
Old 02-22-2012, 07:03 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

The only suggestion I have (I don't know if this is how you have done it) is to tie the rear section first (with the hook in the vise), then when finished, put the front hook in the vise, attach your rear section, and tie your front section as you want it. Don't need any special equipment doing it that way.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...