The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree10124Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 11:26 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Well, typed up a whole reply and then must have closed it... Nice first crab! They're definitely fun to tie up. I learned a trick from the guys at S&S Flies that'll help: when trimming the body, pinch both sides together between your thumbs. Then follow your thumbs with the scissors to make a perfectly matched body. I'd say yours matches up pretty well though.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-05-2012, 12:36 AM

la_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of light

Browsing some fly fishing sites covering the rivers I fished as a student in South Africa (longer ago than I care to think) - came across this great SBS by Tom Sutcliffe for the RAB, a brilliant small stream fly that probably has its roots in skater type flies.

http://www.tomsutcliffe.co.za/fly-ty...high-water-rab

So tried a few of these Red Ar$ed Ba$tards in the hope that spring creek wild rainbows in the California Sierras might never have seen such flies, with their excellent trigger points, especially in a breeze.

Grip #18 barbless
Red uni 8/0
Tail: CDL
Abdomen: peacock quill with thread
rear hackle: barred ginger
Cree hackle wings
Long legs: heron fibers
Front hackle: medium ginger

Thanks for looking!
Click the image to open in full size.
kelkay and madjoni like this.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:28 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

FINALLY finished the 5 dozen two bits. Epoxied them tonight. Now on to something else. Sorry about the cell phone pics.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:12 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Jaybo41: Those two bits look killer, congrats!

Here is what I have been tying this morning: Last year I tied some mouse patterns using Nutria fur, but had problems keeping them afloat, so I used Jack Gartsides gurgler pattern to modify my mouse with a big strip of foam, hopefully that will do the trick and these guys will move lots of water when stripped.

Hook: Daiichi #2720 size 3/0
Thread: GSP 200
Back: Brown 1/4" thick foam approx 1/2" wide
Tail: Shammy strip colored with a black marker pen
Body: Nutria fur

Old 03-08-2012, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Nice mice Larry....why don't you cut the foam to have an oval shaped headyou could add eyes and a little mustache
Old 03-08-2012, 03:47 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

OLIVE TUNG ASSASSIN, TMC 2302 or Daiichi 1760 - #14 - #18...Tom Loe/Variant ( of a Cal Bird Variant)

PT/TB
kelkay, madjoni and jaybo41 like this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 03-08-2012, 05:57 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by planettrout View Post

OLIVE TUNG ASSASSIN, TMC 2302 or Daiichi 1760 - #14 - #18...Tom Loe/Variant ( of a Cal Bird Variant)

PT/TB
PT:P Another awesome fly, congrats! That looks absolutely killer!

Old 03-08-2012, 07:14 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Larry! Lots of work and time spent on those guys, feels good to tie something else for a change.

That's a great looking mouse pattern you've got going there! Adding the foam is brilliant and should really help you move the water. I hope they are irresistible to very large trout!

PT that is ANOTHER killer looking pattern. You've got great skill, thanks for sharing.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:39 PM

dshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura about

Here's a few I've been working on recently:

Sulphur emerger (flymph)

Para-wullf

Prince nymph:

Tellico nymph:

Stonefly nymph:

Old 03-08-2012, 08:46 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Those are all super cool!