The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree10765Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 09:09 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Great ties, guys! I'm definitely going to be borrowing that para-wulff!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-09-2012, 05:49 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

Click the image to open in full size.

minnow sunfish pattern I tied last night, lots of sparkle to this one. hope to try it out wednesday.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:17 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

RED HEAD ASSASSIN...TMC 2302 or Daiichi 1760 - #14 - #18...Tom Loe/Variant

PT/TB
kelkay, madjoni and jaybo41 like this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 03-10-2012, 08:57 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

@planet trout, thanks for the great ideas! I've been using large versions of your ties as attractor nymphs the last few months, like #12 size. Also using some colorful #18-20 size versions with success.

I have been using the bushier olive versions as swimming nymphs in still water. Took a nice splake last weekend.

Also tying minute little #24 midges. But why even bother with a photo...
Ostrich hurl wrapped on a #24 curved hook, black 8/0 thread, voila!

plain old black bead head zebra nymphs too. KISS principle!
kelkay, planettrout and jaybo41 like this.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:41 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

tbblom,

Thanks !!!

Back in the mid-80's, there was a guy who was in the California Highway Patrol who opened a small fly shop in Bridgeport, CA ( he only lasted two seasons before he was reassigned), where the East Walker River is located. He tied a lot of nymph patterns using Marabou for tails and shucks. His flies clobbered Trout up in the high elevation lakes and on West Walker River and the creeks that feed Bridgeport Res. Sometimes... I wonder why I don't tie more nymphs incorporating that concept...

PT/TB

Old 03-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
tbblom,

Thanks !!!

Back in the mid-80's, there was a guy who was in the California Highway Patrol who opened a small fly shop in Bridgeport, CA ( he only lasted two seasons before he was reassigned), where the East Walker River is located. He tied a lot of nymph patterns using Marabou for tails and shucks. His flies clobbered Trout up in the high elevation lakes and on West Walker River and the creeks that feed Bridgeport Res. Sometimes... I wonder why I don't tie more nymphs incorporating that concept...

PT/TB
PT: Very good point, I should give that a try "some nymphs using Marabou for tails and shucks", I'm guessing that would be killer out here as well. Loved that RED HEAD ASSASSIN!

Tbblom: Awesome looking nymphs!

Old 03-10-2012, 05:19 PM

TUNG DUN ASSASSIN...TMC 2302 or Daiichi 1760...#14 - #18...Tom Loe/Vatiant with an assist from Shane Stalcup...

PT/TB
madjoni and jaybo41 like this.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:28 PM

drlaser has a spectacular aura aboutdrlaser has a spectacular aura about

Here is my Casa Blanca (rangely style) heads a little to bulky over all though I am happy with it.
I am going to post 3 pictures please tell me which style of photo you like the best or does the fly the most justice.
kelkay likes this.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:28 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Married wing salmon fly - Thunder and Lightning on a size 2/0 Harrison Bartleet Blind eye hook
Couple things i need to change.
1 move the silver tip forward a fraction
2 make a neater back end, tip, tag, butt. Better tail.
3 smoother body transition from butt to black floss
4 better wing construction, the colored strips of goose are too short compared to the bustard and golden pheasant
5 Neater herl head.

This one took me about 4 hours to tie over a few days. Had the body completed and was waiting for winging materials to arrive in the mail.

Thanks for looking. Two images of the same fly, different backgrounds to see which gave the best image.

Addicted To Vise
Old 03-12-2012, 08:20 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Please excuse the missed focus on some of these. i didnt feel like reshooting after I realised that I missed it slighty on some. Also, vice isnt always the best place to hold them,

Case and Point, Grey Ghost
White bucktail is pretty flat to the belly, not jutting downward like shown

Clouser from Mike's color inspiration

bluegill maybe????

Fire Tiger

MICE!!

lefty's Deciver

Stealth Bomber, have these in green, yellow, black, orange, white

Near Nuff's for the Bass swap

Some plammered marabou nonsense

the skunk

Giant pheasant tail type thingy that the carp seem to eat.

Storm Drain Bonefisher