The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree11001Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2011, 10:46 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Today, I haven't really been tying per se, I've been trying to carve some small bluegill popper bodies to paint at a later date. The ones I've been carving have looked to be perfect size on a 300r hook but I'm not giong to mount them on there, what's a good hook, prefereably something relatively cheap?
Old 03-05-2011, 11:25 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Today I tied two dozen Jumping Jack Blacks in size 22 (Yat: Thanks for posting that great looking pattern) and a dozen Andy Kimís "Yong Special" in size 22.

Larry

Old 03-05-2011, 11:27 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

#20 Zebra Midges in olive with red wire (I guess that's more of a tiger midge)
Old 03-06-2011, 08:09 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Today I tied two dozen Jumping Jack Blacks in size 22 (Yat: Thanks for posting that great looking pattern) and a dozen Andy Kimís "Yong Special" in size 22.

Larry
Glad you like that pattern Larry, I'm sure you'll catch fish with it, but I call it Jumpin' Black Flash. This is a Jumpin Jack Black -
Click the image to open in full size.

---------- Post added at 07:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 AM ----------

Gearing up for a trip to the San Juan mid month so it's stock up on midges and beatis time.
The olive ones are Stalcups Beatis size 22, the red are Ptails size 20, the others are chocolate WD40s and KF emergers sizes 20-22

Yat's Blog: http://pleinaircolorado.blogspot.com/
Old 03-06-2011, 10:28 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Oh man that was good, Yat. ROFL. He is "Jumpin".

Yesterday tied more KG's (yes our KG) South Fork Specials, plus two different patterns of Cicada's. Out of the two I think this was my favorite. A little easier to tie also.
Periodical Cicada Tutorial
Old 03-06-2011, 01:36 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatahey View Post
Glad you like that pattern Larry, I'm sure you'll catch fish with it, but I call it Jumpin' Black Flash. This is a Jumpin Jack Black -

---------- Post added at 07:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 AM ----------

Gearing up for a trip to the San Juan mid month so it's stock up on midges and beatis time.
The olive ones are Stalcups Beatis size 22, the red are Ptails size 20, the others are chocolate WD40s and KF emergers sizes 20-22
Yat: Sorry about that, I just knew I was going to screw that name up, guess I should have looked up the thread before before posting.

For the San Juan you are going to want to use size 26-28 flies. You might be able to get away with 24's but I wouldn't recommend going larger than that.

Larry

Old 03-06-2011, 01:58 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Thanks Larry. I'll have to get some 26s I've got 24s. Can always use the others up here.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Nice flies guysLarry and Yat how can you old farts see such tiny flies?
Old 03-06-2011, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatahey View Post
Thanks Larry. I'll have to get some 26s I've got 24s. Can always use the others up here.
Yat: I didn't have anything that small either, but when I stopped at Abe's Motel and Fly Shop and bought a half dozen flies, everything he recommended was size 26 or 28.

Larry

Old 03-06-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
Nice flies guysLarry and Yat how can you old farts see such tiny flies?
One of these helps JP. I use it on anything smaller that 18.

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Yat: I didn't have anything that small either, but when I stopped at Abe's Motel and Fly Shop and bought a half dozen flies, everything he recommended was size 26 or 28.

Larry
I still have time to tie some more tiny flies since we don't leave until the 18th. I did find out from Steve, we'll be staying at Abe's.