The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree10777Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 09:31 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Massasaga - a traditional wet fly for bass. Tied on a gamakatus B10S stinger hook size 4. This is the fly i was going to send in for the bass fly swap, but too much other stuff going on so i had to pull out. Wanted to see how it would look, so tied it tonight when i finished up my orders.
Click the image to open in full size.
kelkay likes this.

Addicted To Vise

Last edited by s fontinalis; 03-28-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:32 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Eunan you just keep getting better and better. I LOVE the old bass flies like this! More please!
Old 03-28-2012, 09:45 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future

Thanks Kelly, I just this morning ordered Favorite Flies, so there'll be more for sure in the coming weeks!

Addicted To Vise
Old 03-28-2012, 09:56 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

It will be a treat to see your work.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:03 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by planettrout View Post

KR's SPECIAL "PURPLE"...(Buffalo Jump/Variant)...TMC 100 SP BL or Daiichi 1560 - #12 -#18...

PT/TB
PT.. are there tying instructions anywhere for these Buffalo Bump flies? They look really cool.. thanks, Dave
Old 03-29-2012, 08:17 AM

Set of fishing wets off to Maine for opening Day! 10's, 12s and a couple 14's

kelkay likes this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 03-30-2012, 12:44 AM

laurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to behold

tied up a load of wire crunchers yesterday, going to try them out on our lake today

kelkay and fire instructor like this.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:57 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Laurie, those flies are incredible, those abdomens are amazing. Hope they work well on the lough!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-30-2012, 08:04 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
PT.. are there tying instructions anywhere for these Buffalo Bump flies? They look really cool.. thanks, Dave
Dave,

BUFFALO JUMP is an access point on the Stillwater River, that is where the name comes from:

RED/ ORANGE PT (BUFFALO JUMP)

HOOK: Daiichi 1560, TMC 3761 , TMC 100 SP BL, #12-#18

THREAD: Uni 8/0 Brown, to secure tail, rib and abdomen

TAIL: Lemon Wooduck

RIB: Wapsi, Copper/Brown wire SM

ABDOMEN: Red Pheasant Tail fibers...then

THREAD: Wapsi 6/0 Fl. Orange

THORAX: Orange Ice Dub 50%., Nat. Squirrel Belly 50%

WING CASE/ LEGS: Rusty Brown Krystal Flash

BEAD: Silver Tungsten, sized to hook

I have been playing around with a number of different tail, abdomen, thorax, collar and bead combinations for these attractor patterns. I am leaning towards using the TMC 100 SP BL hook exclusively, for these guys and have a bunch of Datum glo-brite on order to use for the collars...that stuff is the brightest floss on the market...

Datum Glo Brite Floss - UK

I like to use them as my lead fly in a two fly set up and have had a great deal of success with this pattern...

Buffalo Jump on the Stillwater River, MT...

PT/TB
kelkay likes this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 03-30-2012, 08:22 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Thanks!

I'll be spending a large aount of time over there this year.. lol

it seems like there's a 'Buffalo Jump' on every river here I'm more used to the name refering to Buffalo Jump State Park just off the lower Madison

Montana State Parks :: Madison Buffalo Jump

Sorry - and Buffalo Bump is the pizza place down the street.. I guess I was hungry when I wrote that