The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree8639Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 04:26 PM

Simmo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Hi Folks,

Thought I might introduce myself with a couple of pics, I do a fair bit of posting on your sister forum here in the UK. I have had a look around and you folks sure are lucky with the variety of fishing you have, I am extremley envious. Anyway here are some of the flies we use in the UK.

Salmon
Click the image to open in full size.

Rainbow/Brown Trout

Grayling

Hope you enjoy the pics and I will be sure to drop in again.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:35 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

The first fly really catches my eye. NICE WORK!
Old 04-15-2012, 06:20 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

nowhere near as nice or complex as some of the ties I am seeing shown on this thread, but here are a few flies I have been tying up to get ready for the upcoming damsel hatch at one of our local trout lakes

Dave

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:52 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmo View Post
Hi Folks,

Thought I might introduce myself with a couple of pics, I do a fair bit of posting on your sister forum here in the UK. I have had a look around and you folks sure are lucky with the variety of fishing you have, I am extremley envious. Anyway here are some of the flies we use in the UK.

Salmon

Hope you enjoy the pics and I will be sure to drop in again.
Welcome Lindsay
The salmon fly is a beauty and the photo is first class, well done.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:47 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

I made a bread ball fly tonight. no photos how ever, just white deer hair and tiped with brown at one end. hope to test it next weekend
Mike
Old 04-15-2012, 10:35 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

As has already been said, Simmo, that salmon fly is gorgeous! Looks like deerhair, krystal flash, and JC eyes, but what sort of feather provided the hackle collar?

As far as what I've been tying, I was inspired to tie a soft hackle for the brookie swap, so here are my first three flies. Would have rather used orange beads for the head, but my orange beads are doing their best Steve Mcqueen impression and have pulled the Great Escape.

kelkay and jpbfly like this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 04-16-2012, 07:51 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

^^^
is that wood duck or teal?
Pearl flash dubbbing?
I like em', they look kind of like a bird's nest variety.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful flies guys
Old 04-16-2012, 02:03 PM

Simmo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwin View Post
Welcome Lindsay
The salmon fly is a beauty and the photo is first class, well done.
Hello Darwin, You have probably seen it on the sister site, it is a great fly it was invented by the Spey Ghillie who swears by it it's called a Kinermony Killer.

Having yet to catch a salmon I am probably not the best advert for this fly but to be fair I have not fished it. After an hour salmon fishing I am so bored I find myself reaching for my trout kit
Old 04-17-2012, 09:09 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbblom View Post
^^^
is that wood duck or teal?
Pearl flash dubbbing?
I like em', they look kind of like a bird's nest variety.
I've been on a bit of a soft-hackle kick lately inspired by those first three...
The hackle and tail on the ones shown above are hungarian partridge, and the body is the Hare's Ear w/ flash (I can't remember if it's Hareline or Orvis, though I know I picked it up at the local Orvis... I'll try to remember to check later). From what I've been told, brookies can be fans of flashy stuff so I figured I'd use that particular dubbing, plus the greens in it matched the green beadhead. I've also been tying natural-colored pheasant tails with beadheads and soft-hackles and the local stockers seem to enjoy them...

I'm really loving these soft-hackles, but I'm quickly running out of partridge... Gonna have to bite the bullet and pick up a full skin soon... More photos to come!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...