The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree10528Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2011, 10:07 AM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Finally learned to tie the copper john, pheasant tail and parachute adams. I assume these three flies will be tackling a good portion of my fishing this summer, so I bought a good amount of materials to tie up a few dozen of each.

I was actually amazed at how tricky some of the steps were the first time around. I actually had to get up from my desk and walk away for a few minutes on a couple of occasions. But, after several attempts at each fly, I've got them pretty well down and they are just starting to look better and better. I am starting with sz12 parachutes, and I think I might go back sometime next week and get some sz14 and 16 hooks and some more hackle and start tying them smaller and get a good collection going.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:22 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonism View Post
Finally learned to tie the copper john, pheasant tail and parachute adams. I assume these three flies will be tackling a good portion of my fishing this summer, so I bought a good amount of materials to tie up a few dozen of each.

I was actually amazed at how tricky some of the steps were the first time around. I actually had to get up from my desk and walk away for a few minutes on a couple of occasions. But, after several attempts at each fly, I've got them pretty well down and they are just starting to look better and better. I am starting with sz12 parachutes, and I think I might go back sometime next week and get some sz14 and 16 hooks and some more hackle and start tying them smaller and get a good collection going.
Congrats! I think you will find those three patterns very useful and the lessons you learned tying those flies will help you with other patterns in the future. As you found, after tying several of the same pattern, you find it gets easier and the flies tend to turn out better with each successive attempt. You might take a look at the tutorials that are on Charlies Fly Box, I have found them to be very helpful: Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best FlyShop and online Fly Tying Tutorials

Larry

Old 05-05-2011, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Thumbs up Re: What have you been tying today?

Oregonism,

Good to hear you're making headway with tying, congratulations on your efforts.

Since the thread is up I'll answer too, I am tying some flies for a wonderful fellow I met from Oregon. He and his family live on the Santiam so I am making him my version of the Santiam Spectrum, Skykomish Sunrise, Freight Train, Thor, and a Rogue River Special for good measure.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-05-2011, 12:58 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

I finished up my grasshopper swap flies but that's about it. I've been really busy with work and school. I'll post an update when I'm not stressed out of my mind.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:19 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I have been working on different bucktail streamers. I am really on a bucktail kick lately.

Last edited by kelkay; 05-05-2011 at 08:15 PM. Reason: I posted a few in the share pattern section.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:44 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Here is one of mine todays messing with some tying stuff

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
rubberguy likes this.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:28 PM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough

Thanks mcnerney and Ard. I've actually been tying on and off since I was a kid, but this is the first year I've really started tying in earnest. I've caught trout, bonefish and hooked one steelhead on flies I've tied in the last year, so it's been a fun road so far. I really enjoy learning the little techniques on one specific pattern that I can apply to a different style of fly. I am really enjoying playing with goose biots and wire abdomens right now, and I think I'll be picking up some more colors sometime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Oregonism,

Good to hear you're making headway with tying, congratulations on your efforts.

Since the thread is up I'll answer too, I am tying some flies for a wonderful fellow I met from Oregon. He and his family live on the Santiam so I am making him my version of the Santiam Spectrum, Skykomish Sunrise, Freight Train, Thor, and a Rogue River Special for good measure.
I actually live about 45 minutes north of the Santiam (in Portland), but I don't fish it because I don't own a drift boat. The good spots for wade fishing are usually crowded out with incredibly obnoxious gear anglers and fights over fishing holes are not uncommon.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:04 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

Another very valuable pattern that is very easy to tie is the deer hair/elk hair caddis. I am never without them!
Old 06-23-2011, 12:16 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

A few spinning loop mice, with a foam back. The bodies were gray wolf that I got in a variety pack of materials last year and it finally proved itself useful, and looks really aweosme, a few replica's of mudbugs henry's fork hopper, and I can't remember what it was called but it looked like a stimulater that Mosca posted in the fly of the week thread, those in olive.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:45 PM

notenuftoys has a spectacular aura aboutnotenuftoys has a spectacular aura about

Not exactly today, but a few weeks ago I tied up some yellow and partridge soft hackles. I wasn't really sure when I would have a chance to fish them, but for some reason I just love the classic look of soft hackle flies.

Well, on Thursday I was able to get out with my nephew and teach him how to fly fish. He's 14, lives in southeast Idaho near some great streams and rivers, and has been wanting to learn. So we were in Broken Bow OK, and I tied on one of those yellow and partridge soft hackles, size 16, and after not too long he had a small rainbow! His first fish on the fly rod!! On a fly I tied! What a great experience. After that we made a deal; I would tie the flies, he would fish them (since I didn't get any fish that night).