The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree11141Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 11:36 AM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnflyfish View Post
Im having trouble with the hackle collar, though i believe its the ancient materials i have to work with. Goin to Cabelas on friday/saturday and hope to pick up some tying material.
Uh-oh... MAKE A LIST B4U GO, and set a budget limit for yourself. Ease into this...

Hooks, for the sizes and types (dry or wet) flies you intend to tie. 25 packs are good, 100 packs are MUCH cheaper per hook.

Hackle, if you can afford the Whiting 100 packs for dries, they're a great way to start. Whole capes are REALLY the way to go, but they're pretty expensive for someone starting out.
For wets, a pair of hen necks (grizzly and brown) might suffice for quite awhile. The Cabela's brand saddles aren't bad (and they're cheap), but you won't find many feathers for smaller sized flies in there.

A Pheasant tail, unless you know a hunter who might have one hanging around, you'd be AMAZED at how many flies you can tie with this.

Peacock herl, a full stalk/stem is the best way to buy it. If you consider a bulk pack, make sure it isn't brittle.

Dubbing, a box of assorted dubbing (like superfine for dries) would be better than individual packs if you aren't sure where you're heading yet. Something "buggier/shaggier" would be great for wets.

Thread, 6/0 or 8/0 Black or UTC 140... buy a few spools

BOBBIN, buy a ceramic insert bobbin! Based on some problems you mentioned, this will be a Godsend for you.

AVOID THE TEMPTATION TO BUY A GRAB BAG or LARGE ASSORTMENT BAG OF FUR!!! Most of it is lower quality and until you know specifically what you plan to tie, it'll just sit there.

Go to KMart or WalMart or Target and buy a couple of snap closure plastic boxes, shoe box size will be fine for now. MAKE SURE they seal tight. Fur and hair in one, everything else in the other.

Then go home and go to town!

Last edited by stimmy7; 06-07-2012 at 11:42 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 06-19-2012, 05:24 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Click the image to open in full size.

Speckled Hen PMD Nymph - TMC 2488, #16 -#20...

...for the Bridge where 'ya pay $3.00...

For Troutwhisperer...

HOOK: TMC 2488, #16-#20
THREAD: Tiemco 16/0 Black - to thorax
Tiemco 16/0 Lt. Cahill - from thorax forward
TAIL: Rusty Brown Pheasant Tail Fibers
ABDOMEN: Rusty Brown Pheasant Tail Fibers
RIB: Wapsi wire, Copper, x-sm
WING CASE: Mirage Opal Tinsel, Medium
THORAX: Fine & Dry Dubbing, PMD
LEGS: Speckled Hen Saddle, # 12., Yellow (Nature's Spirit)

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Last edited by planettrout; 06-19-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:20 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

Planner trout: that's a nice looking fly. How about a recipe, I could use some of those right about now. I'm debating between battling the crowds on the mo or pike fishing this weekend and if I head to the Missouri I could use that nymph

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 06-20-2012, 04:19 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

For HERE:

A Bridge in Madison County, MT...

MICRO MADISON PMD - Matthews/Variant, Daiichi 1560, #16 - #16, TMC 3761, #20...

PT/TB

Old 06-21-2012, 05:19 AM

laurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to behold

Sea trout pattern to be tested tomorrow
kelkay likes this.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:15 PM

"G", Split Wing Case PMD, Daiichi 1130 - #16 - #18...

PT/TB

Old 06-22-2012, 07:16 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

My first attempt at a tube fly. A sculpin pattern, intruder inspired. Hoping to put this to use on some smallies soon and get a few more done to chase some GL Steelies.

madjoni and chi flyfisher like this.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:35 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Lately I have tying flies for the American Shad run here in Northern California for the local fly shop. It's the easiest $1 per fly that I could sell. The problem is that NorCal has had the best shad season in years. That meant that I had to tie more shad flies with little time to tie for myself.

Since I'm done with my production runs, I finally have been tying for myself. The hot fly right now on a private bass pond that I fish prior to the topwater bite is a Clouser Minnow in olive over orange. So I am restocking my box with several.

Dennis

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 04-16-2013 at 01:38 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:18 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice looking Clouser MP
Old 06-22-2012, 09:50 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Jaybo, that sculpin looks meeeeean! Looks like a good lake-run brown slayer, but can't see why a steelhead or ten wouldnt smack it!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...