The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree10158Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2012, 07:18 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Thanks Jaybo, that is very kind of you to say.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:16 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

DONE...

Click the image to open in full size.

PT/TB
jaybo41 and tamster321 like this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 07-23-2012, 01:36 AM

laurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to behold

Thanks guys
the recipe for this pattern is
size 4 or 6 salmon double
tying thread Veevus 16/0 red
butt red utc wire
rib silver flat tinsel
rib red utc wire
wing yellow fine buck tail
hackles yellow cock under orange cock
jungle cock cheeks
head finished off with uv resin

jaybo41 likes this.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:25 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

That's another nice one, Laurie.

Pocono
Old 07-23-2012, 08:58 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Guy I work with is going to CO in 2 weeks and I promised him i'd whip up some flies. So i see some hoppers, stims and san juans in my near future.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 07-30-2012, 11:58 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

My first pass at Denny's Stillwater Nymph.

Meh... not overly thrilled with the proportions. Cheap (short) marabou and even cheaper strung saddle hackle look to be my un-doing. See if the fish chew it up... maybe I'll be motivated to tie a few more with better materials.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 07-31-2012, 06:47 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I've admired this fly for a while and took to tying some over the last week. I've tied them a little different than the original recipe and made a few variations though all basically the same.

kelkay likes this.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:54 PM

ritchierich will become famous soon enoughritchierich will become famous soon enough

Beautiful flies everyone is posting. I just bought a used fly tying kit about three hours ago, complete with bench, vice, and a huge assortment of hooks, furs, feathers, etc.

Never tied before and watched a few youtube videos to get to this point.

It was originally going to be a #8 mickey finn but all hope was lost. Turned into this. Dont know what to call it. The hardest part of my day was learning to whip finish off of online videos...

At least I can only go up from here haha!
Old 07-31-2012, 07:21 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on your purchase of a tying setup! You certainly went all in with that purchase. Save that fly by all means. You can look back at it through the years and watch how you progress. Don't get discouraged.

You have a lot of great resources both on youtube as well as on this forum available to you. Stay with it and have patience. It takes time. I would suggest also that you take a tying class in the winter through a local shop or club if you are able to do so.

One suggestion, start out with a few simple patterns and tie a bunch of them. Maybe a dozen of each. What type of fish are you targeting? The reason I and others can suggest some patterns to start with that would be easier ties and productive.

Welcome to the the world of fly tying
Old 07-31-2012, 07:33 PM

ritchierich will become famous soon enoughritchierich will become famous soon enough

Targeting Brookies, browns, as rainbows in fast water. I've had great luck my last few outings on caddies larvae and other small wet flies. What would you recomend I'd love to try something else tonight!