The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree10158Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 07:51 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Off the top of my head, I'd give these a try:

Zebra Midge
Caddis Larva
Brassie
Wooly Bugger
Old 07-31-2012, 08:05 PM

ritchierich will become famous soon enoughritchierich will become famous soon enough

Thanks! Woolly buggers have never gotten me any success on this river but I will give the others a shot!
Old 07-31-2012, 08:14 PM

cptxkirk will become famous soon enoughcptxkirk will become famous soon enough

Double Standard

I came across this pattern while combing the web. It combines two of the most productive patterns in the state of AZ and I am tying them up for my trip to CO and I have heard it is a skunk buster.

Materials

Hook: #16 Stonefly Nymph Hook
Tail: Natural Pheasant Tail
Body: Natural Pheasant Tail
Ribbing: UTC Brassie Gold
Thorax: Hares Ear fur (Cut of mask)
Wingcase: Natural Pheasant Tail

Picture
Click the image to open in full size.

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 PM ----------

Another fly that I consider a GO-TO of mine, and I won't leave home without it.

Size 18 SOS
Old 07-31-2012, 10:32 PM

ritchierich will become famous soon enoughritchierich will become famous soon enough

So here is the first attempt at a caddis larvae. I didnt have any plastic strip but I tried to best mimic the store bought ones that have been working for me.

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

Sorry for the double post but I squeezed in another fly in the last couple minutes... Tried the zebra midge and then gave it some feather I already had on the table. I have been lucky with a similar fly so I will see how it works.

I can see why people say this is addicting.

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 PM ----------

Hmph. A third post. Another fly i was trying to replicate. Lost a fly I bought from basspro( two of them got mangled) and wanted to make something close to it. The brookies were smashing them last weekend.
i cant for the life of me remember which fly it was though.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:30 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Kirk, add a few Double Standards with no bead and with a more brown color scheme as well. I keep them in the fly box, with bead and no bead, in both black and brown. Its a killer pattern. And that SOS pattern looks great too, I might be adding a few of those to my box. I tie a similar pattern with UV Herringback flash instead of red and it usually entices a few fish.

Ritchierich, good progress! What size thread are you using on the third fly that looks rather like a prince nymph? Once you start getting more and more flies under your belt the heads will start getting cleaner and you'll start using less thread wraps, but if the thread you're using is too big, it will end up choking the head. And if you don't have plastic strip/thinskin type stuff, try using a clipping from the top section of a zip-loc bag! It works in a pinch.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-01-2012, 06:31 AM

Will try the ziplock bag trick on some larvae tonigh haha. When you say choking the heads, are you referring to the obvious sloppiness of the threads?

Also should I be cementing or epoxying my flies?
Old 08-01-2012, 09:01 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I should have said "crowding" instead of choking, when I started tying I did it alot. In all honesty, I still do it pretty often. As you tie more and more, you'll start getting a handle on proportions and throwing proper wraps where the head of the fly just behind the eye of the hook start looking cleaner and cleaner.

I epoxy some of my flies, but most my nymphs I don't; I'm not sure if I don't because I'm lazy or because I plan on losing them to snags and such. Streamers and dries on the other hand I do use epoxy or head cement on, depending on the application.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-01-2012, 09:29 AM

Davec921 has a spectacular aura aboutDavec921 has a spectacular aura aboutDavec921 has a spectacular aura about

Here are a few Sculpin helmets flies I have tied up to try for some Small mouth Bass.
Hook Is Allen #6 Curved
Small Sculpin Helmet
Rabbit strips I cut

Let Me know what you all think in regards to what i can improve on.
Thanks
DAVE

Old 08-01-2012, 10:23 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Those sculpins are really cool looking. Really like the one with the orange rabbit fur on the sides! The only improvement would be a big SMB on the end of it!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 08-01-2012, 07:27 PM

Attempted a new fly today.

#10 deer hair emergers

All tips appreciated.