The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree9858Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 05:21 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Midges to restock my tailwater box.

Black Beauty Thread Midge (sz 20)

In progress:
Click the image to open in full size.

Completed:
Old 08-07-2012, 03:39 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Tail water stuff for Fall...

LIGHT OLIVE MIRACLE MIDGE...Daiichi 1130, #18 - #22...

PT/TB
kelkay and stenacron like this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 08-07-2012, 04:52 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Happily returned to tying, tied a dozen or so nymphs of different types (soft-hackle pheasant tails, soft-hackle hares ears, a form of caddis whose name escapes me, a few blue/purple brassies for steelhead, some large egg-sucking stones, and some tunghead flashback black beauties), a dozen or so dries (several sizes of Matt's Midge and several sizes of a CDC-and-elk-hair tan caddis pattern), and finally getting back to the streamers in anticipation of steelhead season coming. I started off with a Moto's Minnow (the one to the far right), then started playing with the design...
The streamer to the far left is part of a developmental series from the Moto's Minnow, with the addition of some rubber legs and a replacement of the hackle collar with a dubbed collar:
Then I decided to go a bit further in the streamer pursuit and tie up a form of Robinson's Munchable Minnow from memory in some interesting colors:
Hopefully photos of these flies in some fish faces are to come!
kelkay and jaybo41 like this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-07-2012, 06:58 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice looking ties gator, I especially like the white streamer. Throw something greenish in there--dubbing, angel hair or what not and you'd have a pretty nice emerald shiner.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:58 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Now I'm thinking of tying up some emerald shiners with some fishskullz... Results will follow! Thanks for the inspiration jaybo! Got any steelhead suggestions for me?

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-07-2012, 09:43 PM

ritchierich will become famous soon enoughritchierich will become famous soon enough

I myself whipped up some pink WB today that should drive the steelies nuts!

And some midges
Old 08-07-2012, 10:01 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

A.J. and Jaybo41 made a fun memory pop into my head, fishing the Connie in NEO around the High Trestle in real slow water the fresh lake runs had the emeralds flying out of the water like bluefish under spearing! It was pretty wild! Early fall is my favorite when the fish are still hot and keyed in on the shiners.
Those pink buggers will definitely work around here come winter. The gear guys slam fish all day long on pink power worms and thats about as close as you can get there Rich. I believe you will be driving them nuts, I like the midges too well done.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:54 AM

This one is for Jaybo and WT, I tried to apply a bit of the EP Minnow technique, but think I need a bit more fiber on the back. Not sure yet how it will ride in the water, but hope to run into one of those early fall days where the steelhead are busting bait!
jaybo41 likes this.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:08 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

That'll do man!
Old 08-08-2012, 08:16 AM

Unfortunately my sharpies are sitting on my desk in Buffalo and I'm in Cleveland so I can't continue the green into the cheeks just yet... Hmmmm, what's next?!

I decided that some BWOs might be needed, so here are some in a number of sizes. The interesting part of this pattern is the addition of a bend to the shank. Apologies if photobucket hasn't accepted the rotation of the photo yet...
Now on to the emergers...

Last edited by gatortransplant; 08-08-2012 at 12:29 PM.