The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree11048Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 06:08 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Zack, those look great! The thread head on the olive midge is great and the proportions are good, and the pineapple is good too. I assume that the floss is pretty thick so the broadness of the whip finish is probably a direct result of that, all you can do there is use less wraps. If you have already whip finished the other thread holding all your materials down, you only need to do a couple wraps with the whip finish on the floss. Are you doing your whip finish by hand or with a whip finishing tool? Great progress, those flies are well done!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-10-2012, 07:51 AM

ritchierich will become famous soon enoughritchierich will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Thanks! I use a whip finishing tool. Not sure how to whip finish by hand. I tied two more of those and did two wraps of the floss plus the whip finish and it looks much cleaner.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:21 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Aint posted anything here in a LONG time.
Here's what i tied last night.

Click the image to open in full size.
kelkay, wilky, madjoni and 1 others like this.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:27 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Another beautiful tie, Eunan! How long does a fly like that take after all the practice with classic flies you've had?

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-10-2012, 08:32 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Tied that one over the parts of two nights.
First night i did everything up to the wing, took about an hour and half, second night, the throat hackle, wing topping etc, about an hour. Taking my time, working on improving stuff. Had to split it up as i was waiting on blue goose shoulder for the wing.

For anyone interested, my wee steelie streamer is fly of the day on streamers365 blog and i've two flies in this months auction, currently ending this sunday evening on ebay
Old 08-10-2012, 08:54 AM

ritchierich will become famous soon enoughritchierich will become famous soon enough

Wow, beautiful fly!
Old 08-10-2012, 09:00 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Ritchierich, re: pineapple express fly

Floss gets a bit too thick for whip finishing. Tie in a single strand to wrap for a collar, but tie it in with 8/0 thread and whip the 8/0 thread to finish. I had the same problem when trying to make mysis out of floss. They were too bulky when only using floss. I bet they still catch some fish though!

I got some really nice chartreuse (70 denier UTC) to use for hot-spot collars, I also use red sometimes for the thread to show up as a bright spot behind the bead.

You can tie in a wing back made out of tinsel or feather between the thorax and abdomen. Secure it over the dubbing and collar to create a 'back'. Add some soft hackle in place of the collar, with a wing back, and you essentially have the basics of hundred of nymph patterns (ie tied like a copper john, or a 20 incher).

have fun, nothing better than catching fish on a fly that can't be found in a store [and made by hand at home].

Now you just need some foam hoppers or beetles to hang those nymphs under!
Old 08-10-2012, 03:23 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Eunan, that's another beautiful fly you've crafted. Yours look so good I'd almost be afraid to fish them.

richierich, I continue to see nice progress from you in a relatively short period of time! This is great to see. Re: your pineapple express fly, tbblom gave you some great advice on thread and I'll add one more thought. Get some smaller thread. 8/0 mono or even 12/0 or 14/0 will get your wraps at the head nice and slim. You can add a hot spot by means of dubbing. Maybe even shag it out like you did with the olive midge. Learn to do a dubbing loop or split thread technique, they are both great ways to build a collar and hide the wraps. They should fish well for you as is, very nicely done.

That Olive midge looks super! You managed a nice clean head and the eye is not crowded, huge improvement. The ONLY thing I *might* consider changing is the wraps of wire but that is up to the tyer. Some guys like fewer wraps, say 4-5 on the body, others like more.

No doubt in my mind that both of those flies will put you on the fish.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:20 PM

Tied up some nymphs intended for steelhead, a bit of an experiment as I haven't fished many of these brassie-type flies for chrome:
Click the image to open in full size.
Any Great Lakes guys use flies like these? Unfortunately in NY we can only use a single fly, otherwise I'd be running one of these in tandem with a big double-bead stone pattern. Guess I'll just have to fish more in Ohio and PA
kelkay likes this.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:38 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

ABSOLUTELY! While I don't nymph too often that black jobbie will take plenty of fish in February when the black stones are climbing to the bank. Fish it dead drifted through the slow water on the edge of a riffle behind a big stonefly or swing it out through the tailout FISH ON! You could come up thousands of color combos with that and all will take fish.