The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree10754Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2011, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Nice flies Gary, glad to hear you're on the mend.

After the recent Salmon Fly swap I felt like cranking out a few steelhead flies for some reason.

Here are a few size 2-6 Freight Trains and its darker version called a Coal Car (these guys are both variations from Randall Kaufmann's original dressings)

Click the image to open in full size.

Freight Train (Top 2 rows)
Hook: Salmon hook (Tiemco 7999 size 6 and 4 or Mustad size 2 here)
Thread: Black Uni 6/0
Tag: Chartreuse flashabou wound as tinsel (none on original dressing)
Tail: Purple Hackle fibers
Rib: Fine gold wire (original dressing uses oval silver tinsel)
Underbody: White Uni Underbody wrap (not used in original dressing)
Body: Rear 1/4 Orange UV Ice Dub, next 1/4 Red UV Ice Dub, front 1/2 black UV Ice Dub (original dressing uses orange and red yarn and black chenille))
Wing: White Calf tail and a few strands of Pearl Krystal Flash
Hackle collar: Purple dyed Chinese Hen cape (on size 4-6 here) or Purple Schlappen on size 2 here (original dressing uses stiffer purple dyed rooster cape or saddle feathers)
Head: Black

Coal Car (Bottom 2 rows)
Hook: Salmon hook (Tiemco 7999 size 6 and 4 or Mustad size 2 here)
Thread: Black Uni 6/0
Tag: Holographic silver/blue/gold flashabou wound as tinsel (none on original dressing)
Tail: Black Hackle fibers on size 4-6 here, or hair from black dyed squirrel tail (on size 2)
Rib: Fine gold wire (original dressing uses oval silver tinsel)
Underbody: White Uni Underbody wrap (not used in original dressing)
Body: Rear 1/4 Orange UV Ice Dub, next 1/4 Red UV Ice Dub, front 1/2 black UV Ice Dub (original dressing uses orange and red yarn and black chenille))
Wing: Black dyed Squirrel Tail fibers and a few strands of Black Krystal Flash
Hackle collar: for flies 2-6 here, black Hebert Miner Hen Saddle (original dressing uses stiffer black dyed rooster cape or saddle feathers)
Head: Black

Last edited by peregrines; 07-01-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:42 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Gary, that doesn't sound fun.

Peregrines, what spectacular flies you have there!
Old 07-01-2011, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I have made a batch of AK. Assassin's on 2/0 irons for a fellow down in British Columbia who is quite sure they will work on the Chinook there as well as they have done here. I'm not a speed tier so taking an order for flies is a big obligation. The good news is the flies will pay for my hooks and materials used on my own flies so I did it. There is I guess another bright side to the story when people actually ask for my flies, it's a sort of compliment. I have sent them to salmon and steelhead fishers in Oregon, Washington, B.C. and Alberta and people report catching fish on the ties.

Gary,

It's interesting how patterns and styles differ from coast to coast. My Freight Train & Coal Car are similar but different in the style. Nice work on that bunch; BTW don't overlook the Freight Train as a salmon fly I have caught a bunch on them

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-02-2011, 05:42 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Hey guys: this has to be the most obnoxious period of my life. Not most painful (been there) or most debilitating (been there several times), just plain obnoxious. The surgery wasn't too bad, and the heavy pain subsided after about 10 days. Now, I can't put any weight on the leg, other than the weight of the leg for six weeks (three more to go), then just a little weight for another 3 weeks. Trying to get around is just, well, obnoxious. But thanks for the good thoughts. I did have to cancel FOUR week long fishing trips. That's the most obnoxious part of all!

I've got nothing but time and plenty of materials, so I'll definately be tying up some Freight Trains to try this fall. Among many other flies! All I can do is tie flies, watch old Audie Murphy movies and fret about finances (the downside of being self-employed) for another month and a half!

Gary

Last edited by gt05254; 07-02-2011 at 07:33 AM.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:20 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Focus on all those flies you can tie, and getting back on your feet. I hope all goes well for you.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:56 AM

notenuftoys has a spectacular aura aboutnotenuftoys has a spectacular aura about

I've been playing around with some soft hackles and here's a couple I've come up with.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:21 PM

laurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to behold

I have spent the week tyeing up new patterns William Heckell style,William is from Chicago and we met up in Yellowstone last year and he showed me how to use the stripped duck quill ,very effectice it is
here are a few i did
wt bash and rubberguy like this.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:40 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

Everyones flies, have been just spectacular.

I tied a few deer hair pellet flies to hunt with at some outlets and trout parks, And I've come to the following conclusions:
14's are tricky
16's are hard
18's are just plain stupid
Old 07-12-2011, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful flies Laurie!
Old 07-19-2011, 12:18 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light