The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree8658Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 06:38 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Got a Clear Cure Goo kit last week so I have been tying a bunch of sand eel patterns and surf candies. I also bought a new vise to replace my broken Renzetti and have been tying some EP fiber bait fish which are not too fun to tie without a rotary vise! Now they are quick and easy!
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:45 PM

rccola712 will become famous soon enough

My first shot at a Senyo's Wiggle Nymph.

Anyone fished these? Any tips or tricks?
Old 08-30-2012, 11:21 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

The ugliest but most productive False Albacore fly I've ever fished. The Albie *****. I had a feeling the name wasn't going to come up. Albie hor Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by swirlchaser; 08-30-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:06 AM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

Love it! Going out with a buddy on his boat Monday, going to be teaching him how to fly fish and I am really hoping to find some albies. There are some around, just not a lot of them right now. I will have to tie some of these up.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:11 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, they started showing up this week here in NJ. They're not on the beaches yet so we'll be burning some gas this weekend to find them. Good luck!
Old 08-31-2012, 08:44 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

BA Bouy or the HA I'd bet are loaded with them. If albert is hanging around the HA I wouldn't be suprised if there wasn't a mahi or two under that can too!
Old 08-31-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
BA Bouy or the HA I'd bet are loaded with them. If albert is hanging around the HA I wouldn't be suprised if there wasn't a mahi or two under that can too!
Not yet, they're still on the Shark River Reef. 15 miles out.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:03 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccola712 View Post
My first shot at a Senyo's Wiggle Nymph.

Anyone fished these? Any tips or tricks?
Fished them for brookies, size 14, peacock was most popular color for those.

Last year a lot of guys i sold some too fished them for steelhead, yellow and pink were popular colors, size 8 or 10. I think in the bigger sizes they look a lot like a bug on an egg

For brookies i just deaddrifted them on a nymph rig.

For steelhead, i'm sure those guys did the same.

For yours, i'd make the body more bulky on the front half, which is easier if you use a shorter shank hook.
I use 2457 or 2488 hooks. Really dub some ice dub in there and build it up, dont be afraid to start at the front, wind back with the dubbing and then wind forward again to get the bulk. and make sure you get the goose biots on the front hook pointing outwards, just flip them over
Here's few of mine.
Size 8 on the left, size 14 on the right
paymaster likes this.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:15 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I've done ok with the them in the black/peacock in low and clear conditions swinging them in the slow water inside riffles for steelhead. Every now and then give a short little jerky strip to get them to snap, I don't kow if it really makes a difference but its a good fly when the winter stones are hatching.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:22 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Playing around with a new crayfish pattern

paymaster likes this.