The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree11053Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 03:57 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Thank you! I particularly loved the Hooch Craw. I bet it would work here in Texas too.

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 PM ----------

la jolla thank you very much... I will go check that out!
Old 09-06-2012, 04:09 PM

paymaster is a glorious beacon of lightpaymaster is a glorious beacon of lightpaymaster is a glorious beacon of lightpaymaster is a glorious beacon of lightpaymaster is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelkay View Post
Thank you! I particularly loved the Hooch Craw. I bet it would work here in Texas too.

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 PM ----------

la jolla thank you very much... I will go check that out!
The Craws are great for bass as well. I tie some in a bigger sizes( #1-2 Streamer hooks) Fish them around rocky outcrops.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:13 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Great! Bass are my main target around here.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:52 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

So today I tried my hand at the Pickle, a stonefly pattern. I tied it in a size 12 but I think I will get some size 6 for the next batch

Click the image to open in full size.

Last night I was messing around with micro tubing for midges. I am really going to get in to tying midges since you can really do well with them all the time. This is on a sz 20. I need to get the midge jaws for my peak vice to have an easier time with the 22's and 24's

Lastly my brother in laws Christmas present is almost done...a tail water box basically. I am sure a few will come out on the top right and some different midges will go in. Left side is all nymphs such from Top to bottom Rainbow Warriors sz 18& 22, Barr Emerger BWO sz 14 & 18,Hares Ear sz 14 & 18, Quasimodo Pheasant Tail, sz 14 & 18, Tarheel Caddis sz 14, Zwing Caddis size 18, Shop vac size 14, Barr PMD emerger sz 18.......dozen each size

Keep in mind Ive only had a vise and been tying for about 4-5 weeks

How do you all take pictures of your flies to make them look so nice ?
Old 09-10-2012, 05:18 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Your doing darn good for someone who has been tying for that short a time! Your brother inlaw must be a heck of a guy to get that kind of present! I believe most of the guys who take really good fly pics use a shadow box or some type of backdrop. Pretty sure there is a thread that shows a bunch of them. I know one person uses half a styrofoam coffe cup and his pics are real nice.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 09-10-2012, 08:02 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Your doing darn good for someone who has been tying for that short a time! Your brother inlaw must be a heck of a guy to get that kind of present! I believe most of the guys who take really good fly pics use a shadow box or some type of backdrop. Pretty sure there is a thread that shows a bunch of them. I know one person uses half a styrofoam coffe cup and his pics are real nice.
Haha my brother in law has his moments...He got me the interview for my job 5 years ago. It was huge getting me in to the hi tedh industry with no IT background and now my career is heading where I wanted it. I was a bank mgr for 7 years and stuck.....

But he can also be a first class bonehead too . We flyfish 6-8 times a year and he has always said he wants a flybox for each place we go idea. North Platte box, Big T box, Rocky Mt Park box etc etc.

He is also the guy who has made really good money for alot of years and is a toy guy. 12 fly rods, 6 shotguns, pistols,rifles,campers, remote control cars etc etc etc. So tying a box of flies seemed unique and something he would use..

Now I have to tie me a box of flies. I've probably tied 28 doz or more and I maybe have 3 doz in my box.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:44 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Some of Galloup's Circus Peanuts were tied this evening.

Please excuse the legs on the olive one. I had a brain fart at the end of that one and had already tied off the fly when I realized I didn't add front legs. Oops
kelkay likes this.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:39 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

To add to what Eunan and WT posted about the Wiggle Nymphs, Eunan's yellow wiggle nymph tie caught me my biggest lake-run brown to date, just under 30". I'll likely be fishing them again this year, especially on the Erie tribs where we are now allowed to use multiple rigs. In that case it will likely be dropped under a double-tung egg-sucking stone pattern I've had success with.

Ted, those CPs look good. I love Galloup's articulated patterns, I find myself tying them quite a lot (the Lake-runs really love them). As far as the rubber legs, I think they're useful no matter where they end up. I've even started adding them to PTNs. I'll let you know how that one goes, haha.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-11-2012, 06:26 PM

buzzin frog is on a distinguished road

Hi, first post here. Thanks to other committments this was all I had time for, hopefully it works.
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
kelkay, paymaster and grassonfly like this.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:26 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice! Nice volume profile! Looks like a Striper killer!
swirlchaser likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser