The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree12401Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 08:59 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

I have only been tying for a year and have never attempted a dry fly so here is my first attempt...

Click the image to open in full size.

Yellow Sally for my trip to Yosemite at the end of this month.
jpbfly likes this.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:04 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

That looks great for a first attempt Greg, I'm happy when mine come out looking like that now...

That giant streamer from the end of the last page is definitely awesome looking too...

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-12-2012, 02:16 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Here is a simple Soft Hackle Hares Ear i tied last night . Used a grouse body feather for the hackle.
popperfly likes this.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:22 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

Like the soft hackle hairs ear...it's almost always my go to pattern and I find success using partridge feather for the hackle.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:28 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghocevar View Post
I have only been tying for a year and have never attempted a dry fly so here is my first attempt...

Yellow Sally for my trip to Yosemite at the end of this month.
Greg: Great looking Yellow Sally, I could have used those down here on the Green in July.

Larry

Old 09-12-2012, 11:13 PM

la_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of light

Enjoyed the Green drakes on the Bitterroot a few weeks back. Decided to try a dryish Irish dabbler version. The weather was seriously hot, the hatches sparse, and the fish not even taking a nymph. The thunderstorm came through with wind and rain roughing up the surface of a deep pool. Dabbler style came into its own with some nice cuts. So came up with this experimental version.

Kamasan B-170 #12
Thread: Veevus 16/0
Tail: brown pheasant tail (5-6)
rib: gold tinsel
Abd: white dubbing
palmer hackle: silver badger (Hebert-Miner)
Underwing: 3 fluorescent green CDC feathers
front hackle: 3 turns of badger
Cloak and wing: bronze mallard dyed picric

or alternate version with green french partridge front hackle

Thanks to Finneys flies for the mallard and the fluorescent CDC which is amazing.
kelkay and swirlchaser like this.

Last edited by la_jolla1; 09-13-2012 at 10:06 PM. Reason: added hook
Old 09-14-2012, 01:48 AM

laurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to behold

Hugh the idea of using the three cdc plumes as the under wing is fantastic, i use it on my sunburst bumbles, i find that this traps air when pulled through the water causing a bubble trail. to tell you the truth i did not even think of trying out this method on a dabbler, you have certainly come up with a winner there.
Some more stuff on the way to you to try out and again nice flies.
tight lines
Laurie
Old 09-14-2012, 05:33 AM

laurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to behold

Just finished more patterns to be used next month on lough sheelin
the silver zulu
leggy blue zulu
blue daddy
leggy cdc bibio
gold zulu
kelkay, jpbfly and wt bash like this.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:17 AM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

For a musky trip this weekend. First experience with CCG. First impressions are that it absolutely rocks. That being said, I'm not a big fan of the syringe. I'd much rather have a brush.

madjoni likes this.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:59 AM

la_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of light

Really enjoying the bright cdc colors from Laurie, amazing quality feathers - speak fro themselves
Quickly tied a few F-flies in #18
Claret, brown, flourescent yellow and orange

will now go smaller to 20 and 22 for Hot Creek