The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree8606Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 11:05 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Friday night I was planning for a Lake Pleasant fishing trip and I needed some Shad flies to chuck at the stripers.

I remembered seeing some large Pike Flies that had a foam head in front of a bunch of hair and feathers, so I decided to try it myself on a smaller scale.

I tried one with a combination of maribou and ostrich herl, one using congo hair, and one using AZ Diamond Hair. the AZDH version was the best so I tied up some more tonight including a smaller version using AZ Minnow Hair.

For me a key to this fly is the hook, a Mustad 9174 which is a very heavy wire short shank hook. The weight of the hook keeps the fly oriented right.

I fished these on sinking lines (Type III sink tip and a 300 grn Orvis Depth Charge) and the action is great. They are pretty much neutral buoyancy so they just kinda float where you leave them or slowly sink with the line. Give them a twitch and a strip and they dance and dart.

This is a small version on a #6 hook.

Click the image to open in full size.

Larger version on a 2/0 hook.

mcnerney, swirlchaser and madjoni like this.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:53 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Those are some mean looking flies mudbug!! I'm familiar with those Mustads as well, I like those hooks a lot, though I wouldn't mind a slightly more aggressive bend right at the hook point either, but I guess beggars can't be choosers

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-08-2012, 12:03 AM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

I've been TRYING to tie a PMX. Only tried a couple of times, but getting past that elk hair being a PITA is hard.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:01 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
Those are some mean looking flies mudbug!! I'm familiar with those Mustads as well, I like those hooks a lot, though I wouldn't mind a slightly more aggressive bend right at the hook point either, but I guess beggars can't be choosers

Good strong hooks, but they always need to be hit with a stone right out of the box.

I have some Japanese circle hooks I was gonna try this on, I'll let you know how it goes.

My main worry is that without enough hook weight below the foam, these don't track as upright as they should.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:27 AM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

Nice fly Mudbug! Bet the saltwater stripers wouldlove them as well! Thanks for sharing!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 10-08-2012, 10:58 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Those are some good looking flies AJ, thatd probably work well here too for the big browns.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 10-08-2012, 01:55 PM

comeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud of

I need to figure out how to take nice pics like some of you do. Anyway stocking the box up on midges lately. I am finding these so much easier to tie now that I got the midge jaws for my peak rotary

Blue Poison Tung size 20

Purple poison Tung (purple thread, sm gold wire rib , UV purple ice dub) Ive hammered fish on this

The green thing, never fished it, just saw the pattern on a website I got from someone on this forum

mcnerney and tbblom like this.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:31 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
Friday night I was planning for a Lake Pleasant fishing trip and I needed some Shad flies to chuck at the stripers.

I remembered seeing some large Pike Flies that had a foam head in front of a bunch of hair and feathers, so I decided to try it myself on a smaller scale.

I tried one with a combination of maribou and ostrich herl, one using congo hair, and one using AZ Diamond Hair. the AZDH version was the best so I tied up some more tonight including a smaller version using AZ Minnow Hair.

For me a key to this fly is the hook, a Mustad 9174 which is a very heavy wire short shank hook. The weight of the hook keeps the fly oriented right.

I fished these on sinking lines (Type III sink tip and a 300 grn Orvis Depth Charge) and the action is great. They are pretty much neutral buoyancy so they just kinda float where you leave them or slowly sink with the line. Give them a twitch and a strip and they dance and dart.

This is a small version on a #6 hook.

Larger version on a 2/0 hook.

Great looking flies, around here we call those Crease Flies. If you worried about it tracking correctly you can use a longer shanked hook and have more foam above the hook shank to ensure the fly sits upright.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
Great looking flies, around here we call those Crease Flies. If you worried about it tracking correctly you can use a longer shanked hook and have more foam above the hook shank to ensure the fly sits upright.

I was thinking they were more like reverse crease flies.

I will try a longer shank hook and see what happens.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:41 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

CHIDING McGEE FLYMPH-Baetis Gray/Olive…TMC 101, #20 -#22…

PT/TB
mcnerney likes this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/