The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Fly Tying Discussions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/)
-   -   Allen & Co Fly Tying Hooks Solid Quality (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/90289-allen-co-fly-tying-hooks-solid-quality.html)

Walter1023 01-06-2011 05:35 AM

Allen & Co Fly Tying Hooks Solid Quality

I'm awaiting my 2nd order of Allen Tying Hooks. I've become enamored with the 2488's - and his are literally a fraction of the cost vs. Tiemco. They are solid quality The best deal however is the free waterproof fly boxes that you get if your order is over "X" amount. I personally like this box better than my System X waterproof box from SA that cost me $20 as there is more head room for my dries. I put in another order with a fishing buddy as he wanted some hooks also and a box as well. Its just an awesome deal for the money the only thing is the 2488's only go to sz 18.....maybe in the future they'll add a few smaller sizes. I'm waiting to read some more reviews on the nano Ti - that sounds like a tempting offering as well.

kelkay 01-06-2011 09:26 AM

Re: Allen & Co Fly Tying Hooks Solid Quality

I have not tried the hooks yet. I have a couple of his reels, and a fly box. I tend to shy away from store brand hooks, as I was burned by one particular store who had bad hooks. But if these hooks are as good as you say, I will have to try them out.

allenflyfishing 01-06-2011 12:17 PM

Hi Kelkay, Hope things are going well. "Store Brand" There not store brand. These are my brand of hooks "Allen" Send me your address in a PM and I'll send you some.

Have a good one,

Justin

kelkay 01-06-2011 12:50 PM

PM sent. I cannot pass up an opportunity to try them out. Thanks Justin. Things are going well for me. :)

khl 01-06-2011 01:40 PM

I've tied a bunch of flies with them as well and ordered a 1000 hooks (!). It's probably going to last me a good year or so but I don't think you can beat the quality or price. I can attest to the sharpness with the pricks I've had and I think everyone will agree they rock pricewise as well.

Kai.

kelkay 01-08-2011 04:18 PM

I got the hooks in this afternoon! Thank you Justin. They look great. Can't wait to try them out!! :D

Frank Whiton 01-08-2011 04:45 PM

Hi Kelkay,

Please be sure to give us a report on the hooks.

Frank

kelkay 01-08-2011 05:05 PM

I will. I have to tie them, then fish them to give an accurate report though.

Guest1 01-08-2011 07:16 PM

If you don't mind killing one of them, two pairs of needle nose pliers and a couple of minutes would do it to. Actually it might be a better idea than spending a bunch of time and material on a stinky hook.

jcw355 01-08-2011 07:55 PM

Thanks for this review, I'll need a good source for hooks now that I'm joining the fly tying world. Vice is on it's way.