The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 06:35 AM

Walter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really nice
Default Allen & Co Fly Tying Hooks Solid Quality

I'm awaiting my 2nd order of Allen Tying Hooks. I've become enamored with the 2488's - and his are literally a fraction of the cost vs. Tiemco. They are solid quality The best deal however is the free waterproof fly boxes that you get if your order is over "X" amount. I personally like this box better than my System X waterproof box from SA that cost me $20 as there is more head room for my dries. I put in another order with a fishing buddy as he wanted some hooks also and a box as well. Its just an awesome deal for the money the only thing is the 2488's only go to sz 18.....maybe in the future they'll add a few smaller sizes. I'm waiting to read some more reviews on the nano Ti - that sounds like a tempting offering as well.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:26 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Allen & Co Fly Tying Hooks Solid Quality

I have not tried the hooks yet. I have a couple of his reels, and a fly box. I tend to shy away from store brand hooks, as I was burned by one particular store who had bad hooks. But if these hooks are as good as you say, I will have to try them out.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:17 PM
Business Member

allenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to behold

Hi Kelkay, Hope things are going well. "Store Brand" There not store brand. These are my brand of hooks "Allen" Send me your address in a PM and I'll send you some.

Have a good one,

Justin
Old 01-06-2011, 01:50 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

PM sent. I cannot pass up an opportunity to try them out. Thanks Justin. Things are going well for me.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:40 PM

khl is on a distinguished road

I've tied a bunch of flies with them as well and ordered a 1000 hooks (!). It's probably going to last me a good year or so but I don't think you can beat the quality or price. I can attest to the sharpness with the pricks I've had and I think everyone will agree they rock pricewise as well.

Kai.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:18 PM

I got the hooks in this afternoon! Thank you Justin. They look great. Can't wait to try them out!!
Old 01-08-2011, 05:45 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Kelkay,

Please be sure to give us a report on the hooks.

Frank
Old 01-08-2011, 06:05 PM

I will. I have to tie them, then fish them to give an accurate report though.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:16 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't mind killing one of them, two pairs of needle nose pliers and a couple of minutes would do it to. Actually it might be a better idea than spending a bunch of time and material on a stinky hook.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:55 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Thanks for this review, I'll need a good source for hooks now that I'm joining the fly tying world. Vice is on it's way.