The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 02:12 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default What size midge?

One thing I've learned is it seems there is a big range of what size midges work for different people. Sort of confusing when one guy doesn't tie smaller than an #18, and another said unreal that they didn't catch fish until they tied on a #32.
I want to tie some, but first need to solve my confusion
What size midges do you tie/use?
I am going to tie stillwater chironomid midge pupa.

Last edited by Jimmie; 01-08-2011 at 03:32 PM. Reason: stillwater
Old 01-08-2011, 07:17 PM

Ian Mann 4 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What size midge?

Chiros in stillwater are typically bigger than those in rivers.

I tie mine normally in 16 - 20 for the lakes I fish.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:34 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Here in Utah, I tie stillwater Chironomids in 12 to 16, with majority in 12 range, but that is the size of the ones I have found.
Click the image to open in full size.

On rivers, I use pupa down to #26
Old 01-08-2011, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Jimmie—

I don’t fish midges much at all, but I think the size will have a lot to do with where you’re fishing.

Around here (in NY and PA streams) most of the midges seem to run pretty small, size 18 or so to 26--- but if you fish a lot of western lakes midge sizes can range from 10-18— Joni and Mojo fish a ton of midge patterns in western lakes so they’ll be a great source of info for you, and I think they’ll confirm what big_e says.

If you fish the Sierras, this pattern index from Steve Ojai might be a good link, with a lot of midge patterns and their variations with recommended hook sizes:
StevenOjai's Flybox

Keep in mind that some hooks like the Tiemco 2457 and 2487 (to name just a few) are 2x short, so if you use them you might get away with a size 20 to imitate the real small stuff- just keep the bodies thin.

All bets are off if you fish some of the famous "technical" tailwaters like the San Juan, Green etc. where you might have to have the much smaller stuff.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:07 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
All bets are off if you fish some of the famous "technical" tailwaters like the San Juan, Green etc. where you might have to have the much smaller stuff.

I'm going to the san juan in a couple weeks, I've been tying a bunch in 20, 22, and 24.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:20 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Big e, and Joni:
You two solved the whole mystery. That's experience, and nothing that I've ever read. Got it now; bigger in stillwater; smaller in rivers. Cool picture Joni. It took a double take to see some of those were the real thing

peregrines:
Always appreciate your input, and thank you for the link. There are some neat midge patterns I'm going to tie.

mudbug:
Makes sense now that your tying the smaller midges for the San Jaun.

Thank you everyone.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:01 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Here in Utah, I tie stillwater Chironomids in 12 to 16, with majority in 12 range, but that is the size of the ones I have found.
Click the image to open in full size.

On rivers, I use pupa down to #26
Thats a great match. If you could seine the waters your fishing you could match them closer or do like I do and throw a bunch of different sizes. I used an 18 yesterday and caught a fish then used a 28 and caught some fish. Two different types of waters on the same river. One was a pooled area and one was a shallow run. Indicator on the pooled area and a two fly setup on the run. Of course I didn't have a blue dun colored midge dry so I used a cream and an olive. They never hit the dry but took the midge pupa.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:24 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Jimmie,

A while back we had a chironomid swap, and thread, following that (again with joni and mojos advice and experience) and doing a little comparing to what was actually in the water, I started tying in size 14 and 16 for the Northern Nevada and California alpine lakes and have found that these are great sizes for the waters here above 5000 feet.

d
Old 01-09-2011, 09:42 AM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

I fish a lot of midges in Colorado. In streams and rivers - 20-22 almost exclusively. In still water - 10-18 is more likely to produce. There are exceptions of course, but that is my general rule of thumb. I would think that if you tied them in 16-20, you would probably be okay in a lot of different situations.

Gary
Old 01-09-2011, 05:48 PM

jcw:
Thank you. I think that I will get something to start sceining the water. I've never done it.

Webrx:
Bingo. Our first stillwater club outing is a high Sierra lake so #14, and #16's it is. Really appreciate it.

cjcordray:
Thank you for your input on the midge sizes. It feels like an awakening about where to use the different sizes. It will be fun to finally start using them.