The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 08:14 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Nice Wooden Too Box for Fly Tying Storage

If someone like me would like to have a nice looking organized fly tying desk these might be the ticket for plenty of storage and pretty nice looks. Place of couple or more of these on top of a nice honey colored oak desk and I think they would look nice and would be portable as well. What do you all think?

Click the image to open in full size.

Harbor Freight has them on sale for only $79.99 if you buy two they would qualify for free shipping.

I found these while searching the web and Ebay for a desk for tying flies.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:56 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Nice Wooden Too Box for Fly Tying Storage

That looks really good, on the other hand I use a LARGE Plano tackle box. It has a big top section and some small boxes that come out and I can fit EVERYTHING in there surprisingly, and I mean it's a LOT of stuff. but that's prettier.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:37 AM

Ian Mann 4 will become famous soon enough

I think you'll find that you can't put too much stuff in it and will outgrow it in short order.

I have one similar but the drawers aren't that deep and material keep getting jammed up. I now use it to store odds n sods. Even then it doesn't do that very well and I prefer the plastic drawer cabinets.

Also $80 is a hard pill to swallow when you can get a tower of Wally World plastic drawers for $10. Sure its not pretty but its functional.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:51 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Those are nice. Thank you for sharing that info.
Right now I've got the plastic drawers. I have to stay light for the day the wife kicks me off my homestead (table in the middle of the room).
Old 01-09-2011, 03:09 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Ya the way I'm spending money on other tying and fly fishing stuff I I'm thinking I probably should stick to plastic myself.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:32 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

I use a double stack Sears red Tool Chest
Old 01-10-2011, 07:36 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Flybum, I have a friend who uses a box just like that. He loves it. He also got it at the same store you mentioned. It suits him fine, and he mainly ties small, dry flies. I loved the box and wanted one for home. But they were about a hundred dollars when I looked. If I could afford one of those boxes, I'd get one. But I just spent all my gift money on fly tying material, and a new tying light. Somebody will want to know they are on sale though. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:36 PM

bruss is on a distinguished road

dont forget harbor freights 20% off coupons in most outdoorsy type mags (american rifleman etc)
Old 01-12-2011, 04:49 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I would worry about the depth of drawers too, as big e mentioned. But you say "buy a couple more" so if your plan was to have 3 of them lined up...well, you would indeed have a nice looking work station and plenty of storage too.

I have been using the same big Plano tackle box - ala Lancer - for years and years and it is so stuffed full that I have to empty it everytime I sit down to tie. It is a really bad situation that keeps my away from the vise. It is due to a lack of space, of course. Someday...
Old 01-12-2011, 06:03 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd need one just for hooks and thread. I bought a plastic drawer tower at Target (made in the USA ), and it's still jammed full of stuff...LOL! For travelling this past Fall, I tossed a very limited number of material into a shoebox size tupperware container. That was tossed into my gear bag, along with my Peak vise. I'll have to get something smaller than the Peak for hotel stays.....