The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 09:18 AM

patyer is on a distinguished road
Default Making a floss body

Is there a trick to wrapping an all floss body fly. I'm tying some shad flies that consist of nothing more than a little tail, dumbell eyes and wrapped floss body. My problem last year was a few of the flies came unraveled while fishing destroying the fly. Just wondering if there were any tips?
Old 01-09-2011, 09:29 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Making a floss body

My first question would be: are you wrapping the floss really tightly? You should be.
Suggestions - rib the body with a tinsel, or if that's too obtrusive, a heavy thread. Or, coat the floss with lacquer or whatever.
Happy wrapping,
Gary
Old 01-09-2011, 01:32 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Used this type of fly extensively on the Russian River in Nor-Cal for Shad and even winter run Steelhead. The 'trick' is to do an under-wrap of flat silver foil and the floss over that. Reason the foil is the floss colour will just go 'blaw' once the fly gets wet unless you're using a 'silver/chrome' hook of some sort.

As floss is pretty soft material I'd coat the fly body with Sally Hanson's 'Hard as Nails.' The things danged near 'glowed in the dark.'
Old 01-09-2011, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi patyer,

Here are a few ideas you can try.

1. Where ever you tie in the floss (tail or behind the eyes) wrap the floss in one direction and then back to start point. This gives you a double wrap of floss.

2. You can lay down a thread base and cover with head cement and quickly wrap your floss over the cement wet thread. I would still do the double layer of floss.

3. You can tie in a piece of tinsel or wire and over wrap the floss body as ribbing.

Frank
Old 01-10-2011, 12:31 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

as fred said, silver under body will help with colour, so will white.

and Frank, Where ever you tie in the floss (tail or behind the eyes) wrap the floss in one direction and then back to start point. This gives you a double wrap of floss.

I wouldnt put cement or anyting similar on your floss as it will loose its translucentcy (or the ability too bleed which is important for some patterns)

it also pays too flatten your floss and keep taking the twist out as you tie (even to some extent with a rotary vice). this will strengthin it and give a nicer finnish

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 01-10-2011, 06:15 AM

patyer is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone. I'll give those suggestions a shot. Never knew about the foil so thanks for the tip.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Chris,

You are right that the cement or glue may effect the color/appearance but the question was how to make the floss body more durable. Gluing the floss does make it more durable. Patyer will have to determine if he likes the results.

The question of color would be a good discussion in its self. While I think color can be a bite trigger in some cases, in other cases it makes no difference. How many times have we started to tie a certain fly and find we don't have the exact color or material that we usually use. We substitute a different material or color and the fly still catches fish. Patyer is tying a subsurface fly and I don't think an off color or slightly different appearance is going to make much difference. At least that has been my experience.

What time of year is it there?

Frank
Old 01-10-2011, 11:18 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Once the fly gets wet, will there be a difference between one coated with S.H or one without. If you don't have a colored underbody & want to keep the color you started with Coat it. Fishing flys & people flys dont have to be the same.

Neil
Old 01-10-2011, 02:06 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

I'll second some of what I've read here.

Underbody of white silk or silver tinsel critical for color of floss body to remain as tied when the fly gets wet, unless you're using white tying thread and a nickel hook.

Tie in floss near the shoulder/head, wrap to rear of fly, spin bobbin to flatten floss and wrap second layer forward to have a nice, smooth body.

Coat with some form of lacquer or cement to make body more durable.

Another option is to tie in 6x clear tippet material or "invisible thread" at rear of body and do a clear overwrap for protection.

A fine ribbing wraped in the opposite direction of the floss also helps to protect the body, but teeth will fray whatever isn't covered or coated.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:26 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Chris,

You are right that the cement or glue may effect the color/appearance but the question was how to make the floss body more durable. Gluing the floss does make it more durable. Patyer will have to determine if he likes the results.

The question of color would be a good discussion in its self. While I think color can be a bite trigger in some cases, in other cases it makes no difference. How many times have we started to tie a certain fly and find we don't have the exact color or material that we usually use. We substitute a different material or color and the fly still catches fish. Patyer is tying a subsurface fly and I don't think an off color or slightly different appearance is going to make much difference. At least that has been my experience.

What time of year is it there?

Frank
Hi Frank, it's Summer

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD