The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2009, 10:39 PM

BPW is on a distinguished road
Default New to fly tying and looking for some help...

Hi all,

I am new to fly tying and I want to graduate from the inexpensive AA Vise that I have. I guess at this point, you already know the question...which one do I get?? I have asked around, and Regal seems to be the vise of choice. I would like to hear from the group as to which you would suggest. Flies tied would be on hooks no larger than size 8, and no smaller than a 14 or 16...rotary would not be important.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

BPW
Old 04-28-2009, 04:40 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to fly tying and looking for some help...

I use a Regal vise for my fly tying. They're simple, dependable and really hold the fly in place with lots of jaw pressure. I've used it with the standard jaws for flies as large as #8's and as small as #20's, and for me, it works equally well across that range of hook sizes. My wife gave me a Renzetti Traveller vise for Christmas and, probably shamefully, it simply sits off to the side of my tying bench while I continue to use my Regal. I think that for the money, the basic Regal vise is hard to beat.

This is the model that I use; in a C-clamp configuration:

Regal Vise, Fly Tying Vises, Kits and Accessories - Medallion Series Vise
Old 04-28-2009, 05:08 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

Hey BPW
There are alot of vices out there. Mark (peregrines) posted this link a few months ago and it is a good read for someone in the market for a new vice. I use a peak which is a very well built vice at a fair price, but look around there is a bunch of choices.
Selecting the best fly-tying vise, by Hans Weilenmann and Bruce Salzburg
Old 04-28-2009, 07:40 AM

jdorsey61 has a spectacular aura aboutjdorsey61 has a spectacular aura about

The only vises I've used (other than begginers' cheapies) are Regals, and I can highly recommend them.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:59 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

My wife bought me a Montana Mongoose(griffen) a couple years ago and I love the thing. I didnt think a rotery vise would matter that much myself, but I wouldnt use one thats not now. After playing with and learning to ty with a one, almost every fly I ty is easier to ty, adding throats to streamers and tying flies with wings on top of and underneat the the hook is alot better as well.
Bear
Old 04-28-2009, 08:46 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Regal makes a great vise but I was at a fly show over the winter and bought a Regal Knock off for my son for $37!!! Has no name on it , I'm not even sure what the vendors name was but if you can get to a show in your area your sure to to find a deal.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

BPW-

Welcome to the board. The Regal Medallion is a fine vise-- I've been tying on one for 25 years--- bullet proof design, hold hooks of all sizes like a bulldog, and is a "360 degree rotary" which lets you flip the jaws to view the fly from all sides--- as opposed to a "true rotary" which rotates inline around the hook shank for rotary tying techniques. The spring clamp jaws grip hooks of all sizes with no adjustment---- I regularly tie sizes 22 to 6/0 with no adjustment in the same jaws. You can also adjust the angle of the jaws up and down which makes it great for tying flies like clousers, (after you tie in the eyes, angle the jaws down and flip the hook to tie in the top wing on the inverted hook) and for tying small flies (by angling the jaws straight up and setting the small hook in the vise to give you room to tie in tails).

The Regal INEX is less expensive than the Regal Medallion, but has a fixed head (doesn't rotate, and doesn't have an adjustable angle). It also holds hooks very well, but for a bit more I'd go with the Medallion. You may also find deals on used Regal Medallions out there, and since they're built like tanks, it wouldn't be too risky.

The price of the c-clamp is significantly less than the pedestal base model, but the base model is very sturdy and I prefer the versatility of a base since I tie all over the place and don't have a dedicated fly tying space. At least it's not supposed to be dedicated to fly tying (from what I hear it's apparently supposed to be a dining room table...) The base is sturdy enough that the vise isn't "tippy" when tying stuff with a lot of thread torque like bass bugs, or big SW flies. The c-clamp would be even more solid for tying that kind of stuff.

Regal makes a "true rotary" called the Regal Revolution for big bucks, but there are many others that you might want to look at first if you were looking for a true rotary.

Although I'm VERY happy with the Regal, everybody is different, and it would be ideal if you could try some different vises out before you buy. Since you've actually spent some time tying on the AA, you have a big advantage over other folks that are just taking tying up for the first time.

In addition to the vise review link that jimw posted, here's a good article on different vise designs and features:

Fly Fishing Gear, Fly Tying Vises - MidCurrent

The good news is that you have a lot of great options.

good luck and keep asking questions as you narrow down your search.

mark
Old 04-28-2009, 11:35 AM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

Based on input from our members and reviews they posted I went with the Danvise. It got the most, best vise for under 100. I've been very pleased but am also new to tying so probably best to say the jury is still out. Relying on memory but I beleive the next price mark, 100-150, went to the Peak Vise.

note: The Orvis vise pictured in one of the above links looks identical to mine.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:01 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

Just stumbled across this vise link while looking for a mosquito recipe.
How to choose a vice for fly tying for fly fishing | Wonder How To
Old 04-29-2009, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
Based on input from our members and reviews they posted I went with the Danvise. It got the most, best vise for under 100. I've been very pleased but am also new to tying so probably best to say the jury is still out. Relying on memory but I beleive the next price mark, 100-150, went to the Peak Vise.

note: The Orvis vise pictured in one of the above links looks identical to mine.
I'm fairly old to tying, have used a DanVise for nearly 10 years and its served me quite well. There's other vices out there that hit me with the grass-is-greener glimmer all the time, but I can say that I've never been frustrated or failed by my DanVise.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.